DAC with good bass impact and great depth and soundstage-pls recommend!
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

korzena

500+ Head-Fier
Please recommend me an external DAC (up to around $1200) with a good bass impact and extension and great depth and soundstage to get a good feeling of spaciousness in music. (Input through coaxial cable)
Thank you!

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Totally agree and I already have headphones that we capable of having big enough soundstage, depth and speed (I'm talking about Audio-Technica W5000). They are a bit short on bass impact, however I don't need huge bass. Anyway I believe the bass could be compensated by well-matched DAC (I already have AT-HA5000 amp, so please don't recommend amps, only DACs)
So any recommendations?

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 5
The problem is not coming from your DAC. 

-22db@20hz, more importantly -~6db between 50 and 100hz, where audible bass really lives.

From personal experience:
The HD800 and T1 both throw an outstanding sound stage with good width, height, and depth. They are both different, but they both do an alarming amount right and very little wrong. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for reply.
Currently i use two sources (DACs). One is Squuezebox Touch and the other one is my old iPod 5.5G. When i listen from squeezebox i miss bass a lot (to the extend that i use software equalizer). However from iPod, the bass is good enough (and i dont feel the need to equalize it at all). This experience showed me that DAC can help.
BTW i compared T1 and HD800 with w5000 before making decision which headphone to buy and i chose w5000. Hd800 was very interesting to me too, but still preferred Audio-Technica.

Maybe i should also clarify that i am already satisfied with my cans,but i need to buy an external DAC anyway (it's the only component of my set-up that needs to be upgraded) so I'll like to choose one that will make my audio chain match my personal taste. This is why i've asked for the recommendation.

Hopefully somebody can help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back