DAC vs. DAP?
Jun 25, 2016 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Beygan

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

Firstly I'm a new member of Head-Fi. I recently picked up a DAP (LuxuryPrecision L3) and am getting into the portable music audio arena, shopping for headphones, earphones, accessories, and possibly other similar equipment.

I just have a quick question that may help me clear up some confusion with certain terms and equipment.

What is the difference between a Digital Analog Converter and a Digital Audio Player?

Now I am aware that a DAP performs similarly to a DAC in that it takes a digital signal (audio file) and converts it into analog signal for one's headphone/earphone to output. But what exactly are the differences between the two types?

I was confused by these two types of equipment after looking around eBay and discovering that the Onkyo DAC-HA300, advertised as a DAC, contains play/pause, next/previous buttons, SD card slot and volume controls. Does this mean that this DAC is a DAP, or does a DAC perform what a DAP does, and that both terms can be used in interchange?

Please take a look at the supplied pictures below (although I can't post pictures yet as a new member), and let me know what you think. Any help is kindly appreciated!!

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/site...ic/brands/Onkyo/dac-ha300-2.jpg?itok=KY3DHmXi

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 4
The naming of HA-300 is indeed confusing, as it actually is a DAP.

In the purest sense of the word, DAC is just a device that accepts digital input signal and converts it to line level analogue output signal.

A typical DAP contains 3 main components:
- digital player with storage
- DAC
- headphone amplifier

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 4
  Firstly I'm a new member of Head-Fi. I recently picked up a DAP (LuxuryPrecision L3) and am getting into the portable music audio arena, shopping for headphones, earphones, accessories, and possibly other similar equipment.
I just have a quick question that may help me clear up some confusion with certain terms and equipment.
What is the difference between a Digital Analog Converter and a Digital Audio Player?
Now I am aware that a DAP performs similarly to a DAC in that it takes a digital signal (audio file) and converts it into analog signal for one's headphone/earphone to output. But what exactly are the differences between the two types?
I was confused by these two types of equipment after looking around eBay and discovering that the Onkyo DAC-HA300, advertised as a DAC, contains play/pause, next/previous buttons, SD card slot and volume controls. Does this mean that this DAC is a DAP, or does a DAC perform what a DAP does, and that both terms can be used in interchange?
Please take a look at the supplied pictures below (although I can't post pictures yet as a new member), and let me know what you think. Any help is kindly appreciated!!
http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/site...ic/brands/Onkyo/dac-ha300-2.jpg?itok=KY3DHmXi

A DAC is a simple device (or function) that converters a digital audio signal to an analog audio signal.
A DAC is one of many functions built into the DAP L3 (and any other DAP).
The DAP would not function without a built in DAC feature.

Some DAPs can provide the same function, as a simple DAC (digital in / analog line-out)
So you could use the LP3 as a DAC and plug an external amplifier (headphone or speaker) into the LP3's line-output jack.
but normally a DAP's DAC function is used with the DAP's built in headphone amplifier.

The Onkyo DAC-HA300 is a DAP (digital audio player) and has a built in DAC function.
But Onkyo using the term DAC in a lot of it's description, which might be a little miss leading to it's main function (DAP)
The DAC-HA300 not something I would normally refer to as a DAC.

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Ok I get it now. So a DAP essentially contains multiple elements to deliver content, whereas a DAC is simply one part of a whole equation, if you will.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, you rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back