DAC vs audio interface for my new yamaha hs80m ?
Jan 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kimcordina

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

so after around 5 years of using logitech z-5500 5.1 i decided to upgrade and go for a kick ass 2.0/2.1 system...

Im a total newbie at this stuff and all i do is play music (FLAC/lossless) and am VERY into my music (all types from dnb to classical), anyway after a while of researching i noticed many people resorting to studio monitors for this type of thing, i wanted clarity coupled with power... monitors, from what i understand, give you good sound for bang for buck, and my budget was around 600euro.

so i narrowed my search down to yamaha hs80m vs rokit rp8.

the local store who imports these (i live in a tiny country called Malta :) so not many distributors here) woudln't let me have a listen to them, pity i know, anyway i took the plunge and went for the yammies based on all the rave reviews praising them. i knew i was in for a flat sounding, less sparkly speaker and what i was after most of all was clarity.

so i bought them and as an interface the guy recommended the NI audio 2 (traktor), it was pretty cheap at 95euro, so i took his word and got that with the speakers, all to hook up to my 2011 27' imac.

Anyway, my initial impression was so and so, they are REALLY clear and crisp (slightly fatiguing) but they sounded different to what i was expecting. They do a great job of presenting the sound without any bells and whistles thats for sure and i was hoping that there is some way i can make them "sparkle" a bit more if you know what i mean. (kind of like my friend's m-audio av 40's which seem to make everything sound damn good) (i believe 'warmer' is the term im looking for ;p)

Anyway, basically my question to you is this.....will getting a DAC over my currrent audio interface (ni audio 2) make any difference and give me what im looking for? 

Dont get me wrong im happy with them, they are a massive improvement over the logitechs, I'm just looking for a way to improve them even further as im such a newb and maybe you guys could offer some insight :)

playing everything through itunes/decibel on mac osx at the moment.

remember i wont be mixing/producing anything at all....Just listening to high quality audio for pleasure. what do you suggest?

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Anyway, basically my question to you is this.....will getting a DAC over my currrent audio interface (ni audio 2) make any difference and give me what im looking for? 

I don't think so. I mean that if you're looking to change the "character" on you system I would recommend to tune the EQ or change the current monitor. In my experience, a good DAC is a transparent DAC.

If you want more warmer and fun sounding system, you can try hifi speakers set rather that studio monitor.
For now, try different speaker position and treat your room acoustic, it'll give different impression of your system.

CMIIW :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back