DAC Upgrade Time
Sep 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Connnorrr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my Fiio E7. My budget is $200-$400. I need USB as my laptop doesn't have a better option, and I'd like 24bit as well. I really don't know where to start.

My current chain is USB->E7->Valhalla->DT990 600ohm.

I'd prefer if I could order from somewhere in the states so I don't have to deal with it coming through customs or anything, just seems like that might be a bit easier. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 11
A Bifrost with USB upgrade will be stretching your budget JUST A TINY BIT to $449 and will make a nice stack with your valhalla, if you don't like it the 15-day money back warranty is waiting. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 11
You have to pay a restocking fee, so you wont get all your money back. Bifrost isnt out yet so Id wait for reviews, but as stated it will go nicely cosmetically with your valhalla.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 11
I enjoy my HRT Music Streamer 2+. You might want to research them. There is plenty to read. It is USB only so if you want to step up in the future it might not be the one but it may be good for now.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
CEntrance DACport LX is worth a mention.

Heck, it's probably better than the Bifrost anyway.

How in the world did you come to that opinion. I understand you said probably. And dont start naming specs. Specs dont count for much more then what they are, which is just print on paper. Its all in the utilization of the parts that counts.

OP, I wouldnt consider someone who has an opinion about something before its out as a reliable source. Just my opinion. That being said the CEntrance is indeed another option to research.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
How in the world did you come to that opinion. I understand you said probably. And dont start naming specs. Specs dont count for much more then what they are, which is just print on paper. Its all in the utilization of the parts that counts.

Specs are exactly what I used to conclude that, including those that the manufacturers publish (or lack thereof) and third party ones of the DACport. If you have any reason a DAC would be affected by anything else that's not make believe, I'd consider it in my suggestions.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 11
The one and only thing I go by is my ears, and they are not make believe. They hear what the hear regardless of specs. Besides, all this DAC talk is silly. The only thing a dac does is convert digital to analog. There should not be any coloring of the sound, they should all sound like the original recording or something is broken.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The one and only thing I go by is my ears, and they are not make believe. They hear what the hear regardless of specs.

Besides, all this DAC talk is silly. The only thing a dac does is convert digital to analog. There should not be any coloring of the sound, they should all sound like the original recording or something is broken.

Your ears hear what they hear, but your brain has to interpret it. Our brains make believe a lot.

Exactly! So many DACs are broken. Honestly the Bifrost and DACport shouldn't sound different at all, unless the Bifrost has audible distortion or frequency response coloration. But the DACport performs better from what info we're given (even if it's inaudible), and is cheaper. So it's "better".

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 11
The HRT Music Streamer II+ is excellent as a USB only DAC and is within your price range. I've been impressed with it in my office system. You can sometimes find an open box one at OneCall for under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back