DAC Upgrade Suggestions for HRT MS II+?
Aug 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sionghchan

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all you there head-fi gurus...

I'm potentially looking for an upgrade to my computer audio DAC and am wondering if the head-fi community here can offer me some insights/thoughts and suggestions?

My current setup is 
Computer -> HRT Music Streamer II+ -> Burson Audio HA-160 -> Sennheiser HD650 / AKG K701 / Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT770.

This combination sounds great for jazz where the soundstage is intimate. I find that the HRT Music Streamer II+ provides me with natural timbres and great sound, however, do find the following lacking:
1) Soundstaging - I also listen to a lot of Classical and do find the Soundstaging on the HRT MSII+ to be enclosed, compressed.
2) Resolution - I love a lot of micro details e.g. love to hear the singer's breath, the pianist shifting on his chair, the violinist fingers switching notes, every little bit to increase the realism of the piece. I do find the HRT Music Streamer II+ to be warm but robs a lot of details away. (I listen to high resolution FLAC files 24/96 or 24/192.)

a)  If I want to upgrade from HRT MSII+, what's the next step up without killing my wallet?  I am thinking of staying in the $200 - $500 range.  Where do I go from here?  I'm actually completely lost...
b) Or, have I seriously hit diminishing returns beyond the HRT MS II+?

Many thanks for your time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back