Sep 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mgmz

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently have:
- an E-MU 0404 USB
- an AMB M3 heaphone amp
- a Sennheiser HD650

For various reasons, I would like to get a new DAC to replace the E-MU.
The only constraint is: under 400$ (but I'd like it to be under 200$). It can be DIY and I don't care about having an amp included with the DAC.

Cheers

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 15
NFB-3.1

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 15
The newest HRT II+ just got reviewed in 6moons as well:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hrt4/1.html

And the 6moons review of the Pro:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hrt2/pro.html

I have never tried the HRTs but they sound pretty good from the reviews

I am currently using a Twisted Pear Dual Mono Opus DAC which I got for $475 a few years ago but it should be cheaper now. I have seen people selling completed Buffalo Sabre DACs but more expensive.

I think it comes down to what sound signature you're looking for at your price point.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

DacMagic Plus

When I saw the title of this thread I said I will recommend the DacMagic because I also had the 0404USb and then upgraded to Dm and it was a huge difference. When did this come out?

Based on what are you recommending it Dynobot? I haven't found any information regarding its specs or any other input.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #10 of 15
The DacMagic Plus is not yet released.

I have the feeling that a DIY project can be cheaper (or better quality for the same price). Do you have any recommendation for a DIY DAC?

Thanks

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
The DacMagic Plus is not yet released.

I have the feeling that a DIY project can be cheaper (or better quality for the same price). Do you have any recommendation for a DIY DAC?

Thanks

I have very simlar feelings to you, there are some excellent high-end DAC chips out there... where are the projects? So far my inquiries are mostly just met with sarcasm, like "if you want to save money, DIY is the wrong idea" from that twisted cables guy in the objective2 thread.

Check out the links I provided in the post above, and also if you do find any nice DIY DAC projects that aren't always out of stock, cost $700, and don't come with sarcasm, please let me know!

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 15
I have used the E-Mu 0404 PCI and 1212m in the past and heard the old DacMagic.  My vote would be for one of Ross Martin's dacs in your price range of preferably $200 and less than $400.  I am really happy with mine and have reviewed it under dedicated source threads.   Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 15
I second the Gamma2 from AMB (DIY).  Its like... $250ish in parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back