DAC under $300
Nov 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ddcpitt

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I currently have a JDS Labs C421 (OPPA227) and an ODAC. I think it's time for an upgrade from a portable amp to a more powerful desktop amp and perhaps a new DAC as well. I enjoy this setup, but can only imagine how much better my setup would sound with a powerful desktop amp.

My current headphone inventory consists of HE-400, HD600, T50RP Mad Dogs, D5000, Pro 900, AD900, HM5, and HFI-780. I would like a solid state amp. I am considering the Schiit Asgard, Matrix M-Stage, O2/ODA, and other recommendations that you might have. I would like to keep the budget under $350.

The DAC is more questionable because the ODAC might be perfectly fine for entry level desktop amps such as the ones I have mentioned. I know its measured to be transparent, which is what I'm after, but if something such as the Schiit Bifrost, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, or HRT Music Streamer II or II+ is worth it for this type of amp, then I would certainly consider the upgrade. Obviously open to other recommendations as well. I would like to keep this under $300 but can stretch if needed.

Just curious what you all think would be best for the budget, either ones I listed or others you know of that are better. Thank you very much.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I also just discovered the Centrance Dacport LX, which also sounds like a great DAC.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Just got the Asgard and am in need of similar advice on DACs.  I have a very basic DIY cable DAC (Burr-Brown PCM 2702) but looking for an upgrade.  Leaning toward a CEntrance or HRT just because they're USB powered and I already have enough cords in my life, but haven't made any final decisions yet.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 4
I just picked up an Asgard which should be arriving today. I decided to stick with my ODAC for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back