DAC to use with portable amp
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
Contrary to normal head-fi tradition, I'm trying to save some $$$ by buying only 1 amp :p I'm goin to get something from RSA (haven't decided on a model yet but leanign towards Tomahawk) to use with my portable, but I also want to use it at work connected to my PC.

What would be a good source for the amp? I may not always use the amp, so having the option to not use it would be nice, but not a requirement.

The DAC(and maybe amp too) does not need to be very portable as it will just sit on my desk at work most of the time.

My budget is pretty low for head-fi standards. I'd like to spend less then $200.

So far the Emu0404 USB is the only thing I know of, but I'm unsure if it has an amp in it. I think it does, but I'm not 100% sure
confused.gif

I listen to my HD580s at work if that makes a difference in your advice.

Thanks for helping me figure this out guys. I read these forums a lot, and don't see a lot of folks looking for this sort of solution.

It doesn't have to be a USB Dac/amp either. If an internal soundcard will work better, that's fine too, but then I would have to eventually buy a second one for home
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back