DAC to replace M-Audio 2496 Audiophile
Dec 11, 2016 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Triggaaar

100+ Head-Fier
My PC has an M-Audio 2496 Audiophile and I've always been happy with it, but then my desk/speaker setup is not well suited for listening to music, and up until now I've not had decent headphones. I'm moving into a new study with better placed speakers (either Mackie HR624 or Dynaudio Audience 42W, depending on how they sound in the room) and new headphones.

Do you think a cheapish DAC will be much of an upgrade to what is quite a decent soundcard?

Thanks

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 8
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip,
line-output for studio monitors or speakers
and a separate amplified headphone jack.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 8
  A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip,
line-output for studio monitors or speakers
and a separate amplified headphone jack.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not looking to get a new soundcard (although that ones is clearly well featured), I'm just wondering whether the budget DACs are going to give a noticeable improvement on my existing card.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 8
  I'm not looking to get a new soundcard (although that ones is clearly well featured), I'm just wondering whether the budget DACs are going to give a noticeable improvement on my existing card.

What would you be willing to budget, for a "budget" DAC?
As this setup will be for speakers (or studio monitors) and headphones,
you would need a DAC with both a headphone amplifier and separate line-ouput.

Maybe a Hifimediy DAC, $42-$70.
With a Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier,$80
(the Bravo Ocean comes with a separate line-output).
So maybe $130-$160 total.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 8

What would you be willing to budget, for a "budget" DAC?
As this setup will be for speakers (or studio monitors) and headphones,
you would need a DAC with both a headphone amplifier and separate line-ouput.

Maybe a Hifimediy DAC, $42-$70.
With a Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier,$80
(the Bravo Ocean comes with a separate line-output).
So maybe $130-$160 total.

It will probably be for studio monitors, but I will test both those and bookshelf speakers (I have both) in the room and see which I prefer. putting the others in another room.

I'll be looking at something like the Magni 2 for headphones (with or without pre-out, depending on speaker choice).

For a DAC I could go for the Modi 2, or something like a Dragonfly which I could also use as a portable device. Or I could just use my soundcard, which was always highly rated. It hasn't just become a bad soundcard, have things really moved on that far that I'd be better with something like the Hifimediy?

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 8

It will probably be for studio monitors, but I will test both those and bookshelf speakers (I have both) in the room and see which I prefer. putting the others in another room.

I'll be looking at something like the Magni 2 for headphones (with or without pre-out, depending on speaker choice).

For a DAC I could go for the Modi 2, or something like a Dragonfly which I could also use as a portable device. Or I could just use my soundcard, which was always highly rated. It hasn't just become a bad soundcard, have things really moved on that far that I'd be better with something like the Hifimediy?

The M-Audio 2496 sound card is about a 10 year old design, so the DAC chip used on it is well over 10 years old in design.
Today they can made a DAC chip with over twice as many trasnsisters for half the price of whatever is used on the 2496.
They can also intergate more function on to the DAC chip, functions that use to be done on separate chips.

But you might just consider getting a headphone amplifier, with a separate line-output.
Plug something like the Magni 2 Uber into your M-Audio 2496.
I think the Bravo Ocean is a better buy, at $80

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 8

The M-Audio 2496 sound card is about a 10 year old design, so the DAC chip used on it is well over 10 years old in design.
Today they can made a DAC chip with over twice as many trasnsisters for half the price of whatever is used on the 2496.
They can also intergate more function on to the DAC chip, functions that use to be done on separate chips.

But you might just consider getting a headphone amplifier, with a separate line-output.
Plug something like the Magni 2 Uber into your M-Audio 2496.
I think the Bravo Ocean is a better buy, at $80

Yes, I was wondering how much things have changed over those 10 years. I guess you're saying 'quite a bit' :)

I've really no idea what's the best move - I could go for the new Schiit Fulla 2 (cheap, amp and DAC), a Magni 2 or Vali 2 and try some different DACs, or Fiio K5.

I've not heard of the Bravo Ocean, I'll check it out, thanks.

It's not like I'm going to be able to test these things, I'll just have to take a punt based on reviews.

Thanks for the advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back