DAC to powered speaker recommendations thread
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mrtn77

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. Thought it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to DAC / powered speakers pairings. What works, what doesn't, what sounds fine, what does not, etc. 

In my own case, to get things going, I'ml currently looking to pair a Nuforce Icon HDP with active studio monitors (without a sub), my interest going to the Genelec 6010A and Adam A3X. I'd be keen for feedback on the use of the HDP with either, should anyone have tried. Do note that I don't intend to mix or produce, but do listen closely, in both possible sens : carefully and about a meter away from the speakers. They wouldn't need to go very loud, and I am not a bass-head.

I've been told by knowledgeable folks that the Audioengine powered speakers work very well with said HDP DAC, but they're not very well distributed where I live. And the prospect of using studio gear, however modest, is appealing.

Here's hoping the thread helps !

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 6
The obvious recommendation for someone looking for a interface suitable to match with high quality prosumer studio monitors is something from RME.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php

Whilst RME pricing compares very favourably  with comparable products from the dedicated hi-fi grade brands it's not cheap.

Further down the cost spectrum I like the look of this product at the moment.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_8i6/overview/

and an even more inexpensive but less flexible alternative.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_2i2/

The pro and semi pro audio companies have been in the interface business far longer than the hi-fi grade alternatives who are only now starting to play catch up. You might also want to consider products from Presonus, TC-Electronic, Roland and NI, among others. If money is really tight stuff from E-MU or even M-Audio is superb for the money.

Don't be put off by the fact that these devices seem to offer much more in facilities than you think you need at the moment. You will soon see the advantages for yourself. Even if you never do then compare the specs for what you do want and you will soon realise you get all the valuable extras for free. The software is always going to be superior and better supported as well as it's a key part of these companies business.

Although to be fair the NUForce Icon HDP you mention looks fairly decent; if a little expensive for what it does. The only minor quibbles I can see at first glance are the fact that the headphone output and line outputs are mutually exclusive. Also it seems a shame that since you intend to pay for pro quality balanced inputs on your  speakers the HDP only offers unbalanced RCA out. neither of these are serious impediments though given your intended use. Perhaps of more long term concern is that the HDP appears to be limited to class compliant (i.e. microsoft) drivers whereas the pro grade gear will have superior bespoke software as an alternative.

In your position I'd save up a little while longer and get the Babyface. It's $250 more but was designed from the ground up to work with pro quality studio monitors.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the informative response, RonaldDumselfd, it's sure to be of use to many.

As it happens, I must have been unclear (after all, English is not my mother tongue) as I already own the HDP. With no regret, I must add, as I am not convinced balanced connections would be of particular use to me. I've also found no fault with the drivers, as everything's been working splendidly (save for a one-time memory leak likely due to Foobar's Wasapi plug-in). In fact, I much prefer the HDP's plug and play solution to additional manufacturer-specific drivers and programs, but that's just me. Likewise, I find no faults with headphones cutting out line-out. And I suppose many won't.

As I said, I do hope this thread can be of general use, but my own query stands : what do knowledgeable folks recommend for use with the HDP, in the Adam A3X price range ?

If it matters, I tend to prefer chamber music like classical pieces and the more speculative types of rock and roll (Jim O'Rourke and Gustav Leonhardt are my musical heroes). 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 6
As it happens mate I use ADAM A3X as my prefered desktop multimedia speakers.

I'm delighted with them. Focal and Genelec, among others, make similar competitive products but they are all significantly more expensive.

I cannot see why you wouldn't be equally happy pairing a set with your existing DAC.

best of luck.

p.s. 99.99% of your decision making must be based on whether or not you like the sound of the ADAMs (or any other speaker for that matter). Choice of DAC, provided it isn't broken, incorrectly installed or incompetently designed, will have very little effect on that. 

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Edifier 1700BT active speakers:
Will a DAC even help...???
source: pc...
I may be looking for a dac with headphone option...
Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back