DAC to Match RSA Raptor or HR-2 & Macbook Pro
Jan 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ridleyguy

500+ Head-Fier
I am a new member to the Forum and to headphone audiophile discussions, so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place or if my question is a stupid one! What is a good DAC to go with the Raptor or HR-2 and Sennheiser HD650s? I am comfortable spending $1,000 on a DAC if the combination is better than the Red Wine Isabellina which I am also considering.

My source is an '09 Macbook Pro using iTunes with a combination of AIFF files (for my ripped CDs), Apple Lossless files and 320 kpps. MP3 files. I listen primarily to classical music. I also own Grado SR 80s, which I don't particularly like, and in the past have owned Stax headphones - I can't remember the model. If it helps, I have also owned Magneplanar floorstanding speakers and have liked the sound of B&W 800 series and KEF speakers in comparison to others that I have briefly auditioned.

I am very open to suggestions, as I have not listened to any headphone amplifiers/DACs other than my current portable amp. which I bought mainly for my iPod - a HeadRoom Total BitHead.

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm sort of similar to your setup, in that I have a pair of HD650s and play them out of my MBP. I use the optical out into a Headroom Mirco DAC and it's quite good! I'm not too knowledgeable with matching DACs to the Raptor or HR-2, but I do have the DAC feed into a Hornet and I am quite happy.

Hope that somewhat helps.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougwx12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy with a MicroDAC feeding an HR-2. Meant to use the microdac as a stepping stone, but liked it enough to just stick with it instead.

I really like my microdac as well. I think I will have it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back