Dac through coax vs usb-c(using usb player pro bit perfect)
May 10, 2023 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jjazzy

1000+ Head-Fier
I need some help understanding something, at least what the reason is.

I had some issues with digital.

I just bought a conductor 3x gt, and I noticed that through coax with a decent streamer sounded better than through phone as a transport usb-c (but with usb player pro - configured bit perfect)

I noticed that in some way through phone (which should be transparant as well) sound harsh at moments, not at first listen, but after a while switching back to the dedicated streamer I borrowed it sounded better.

Both are digital, am I crazy? Really trying to understand (the usb-c board used in the Burson is really good, so I would not expect this difference)

Hope someone here can help me out understanding what is going on.

May 10, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 7
USB and SPDIF audio quality can be difficult to compare. It largely depends on the implementation of each system, as well as the quality of the components used. However, in general, USB is thought to be inferior to SPDIF in terms of audio quality.One of the main reasons for this is that USB is a shared bus system. This means that data is transferred over the same wire simultaneously for multiple devices. This can lead to interference and compromised sound quality.

SPDIF, on the other hand, transmits data one bit at a time and does not suffer from interference issues. The performance of USB audio depends largely on the quality of the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), so this must also be taken into consideration when choosing one system over another.

Streamer is a dedicated equpment. Chances are it has some advanced clocking inside.
Phone is a comunication device. Got RF as culprit. And parts not dedicated to audio but more for general communication.
OS too playes apart. Streamer's are for audio and much more leaner. While the phone is for general communication, photo/video and other day to day stuffs..

May 10, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 7
USB and SPDIF audio quality can be difficult to compare. It largely depends on the implementation of each system, as well as the quality of the components used. However, in general, USB is thought to be inferior to SPDIF in terms of audio quality.One of the main reasons for this is that USB is a shared bus system. This means that data is transferred over the same wire simultaneously for multiple devices. This can lead to interference and compromised sound quality.

SPDIF, on the other hand, transmits data one bit at a time and does not suffer from interference issues. The performance of USB audio depends largely on the quality of the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), so this must also be taken into consideration when choosing one system over another.

Streamer is a dedicated equpment. Chances are it has some advanced clocking inside.
Phone is a comunication device. Got RF as culprit. And parts not dedicated to audio but more for general communication.
OS too playes apart. Streamer's are for audio and much more leaner. While the phone is for general communication, photo/video and other day to day stuffs..
The sound quality difference is not noticable the first seconds, but you start to notice it in listening fatique quite fast whil through coax I kept on listening and listening through the streamer (while initially I thought there was not much difference)

May 10, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Am using USB Player Pro since its debut on Dec. 2013. And have a good relationship (as user) with the developer.
A stop gap solution I did was a DDC in between my USB source and DAC.
Until what I have right now. A dedicated Streamer/DDC.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 7
There might be some jitter differences between the two interfaces as well. Still, I don't think it would be so obviously noticable between the two. Other factors could be ground loop issues as USB carries an electrical current. Honestly I've really never been able to tell the difference between the two. Maybe switch your USB cable and try to isolate the connection to a single USB bus, with no other devices sharing the connection.

May 11, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7
There might be some jitter differences between the two interfaces as well. Still, I don't think it would be so obviously noticable between the two. Other factors could be ground loop issues as USB carries an electrical current. Honestly I've really never been able to tell the difference between the two. Maybe switch your USB cable and try to isolate the connection to a single USB bus, with no other devices sharing the connection.
I actually connected the android phone with usb player pro, using a decent short ifi OTG cable. But the difference to describe it in a nutshell through usb, treble more thin(a tad fatiqueing) and bass less controlled.

Trhough streamer-coax, sounding amazing. Not a night and day difference, but enough for me nog liking the usb connection over the coax-streamer one

May 11, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 7
I actually connected the android phone with usb player pro, using a decent short ifi OTG cable. But the difference to describe it in a nutshell through usb, treble more thin(a tad fatiqueing) and bass less controlled.

Trhough streamer-coax, sounding amazing. Not a night and day difference, but enough for me nog liking the usb connection over the coax-streamer one
Hummmm.... honestly I'm not sure then. So many factors are concerned, both in your hardware (dac implementation, sources, cables, ears...) and software (files, stream, app used on the phone, brain...)...

Best to trust your ears and experience in this case. Maybe in this, particular situation, coax sounds better to you. Enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back