DAC that displays detailed media info?
Jun 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Keyboarder

New Head-Fier
Looking for a DAC/Pre/Amp for desktop use with speakers and headphones. In addition to standard fare of good DAC chips, power supplies, circuitry design and electronics, I really want something that will show me as much information as possible about the media file being played; the more the better ie PCM, 44.1khz-5.6Mhz, DSD, bit depth, etc.

So when I connect to Spotify or Itunes or MediaMonkey or Windows Media Player and play a variety of files streamed or local on my PC, it will show me details of the actual data getting to the DAC for translation into an analog signal.

MUST HAVES
USB, Coax, Optical inputs
Media resolution info display or led indicators
DSD capable
Preamp outputs

PREFERENCES
Integrated amp for speakers (but not if it eliminates the pre-outs)
Integrated headphone amp
Street price under $600, retail under $1000.  Bonus if it's even less!

Options researched so far:

Sony UDA-1 - Only one I've found with integrated Headphone Amp, Speaker Amp AND Pre-outs, but only has LEDs for DSD, not the lower khz resolution files. Also no other data is shown about audio being processed.

Teac UD-301 - No speaker amp, but has LEDs for all resolutions from 44.1khz to 5.6Mhz DSD.

Teac UD-501 - No speaker amp, has advanced LED panel to display media info.

Unfortunately the Teac integrated amp models Teac AI-301 and AI-501 correspond to the preamp only models elminate the displays on the front of them that show what media is being processed. :|

Do you have any suggestions?    Greatly appreciated if you do.  Thanks.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 2
If you can stretch up you budget, maybe you can find a second-hand Oppo HA-1.
If not, Matrix mini-i Pro.
Both these models have no speaker amps output but they do have pre-amp output (XLR and RCA) with the Oppo also has XLR and RCA inputs. The Matrix only has RCA input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back