DAC Suggeston around AUD 1500~2000
May 28, 2010 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

I have been using the DACMagic since half a year ago, however, it really stops me enjoy and listen to music...Personally, I think the DACMagic is too harsh for me, cannot listen music for more 30mins, and the sound also made my eardrum painful, and listening fatigue even though I am listening in a very low volume which is below the standard listening level.... Had tried my friend's Meier Audio's new STAGEDAC , it's really better for my preference, the sound is warmer, lush and non fatigue. However, I am looking for a higher price tag upgrade from the DACMagic, which will be something like the Red Wine Audio's Isabellina or the stello DA100. But unfortunately there are no distributors for both of those good DAC in my state, Sydney Australia...So do you guys have any suggestions of DACs which has a simular sound signature?? A warm and musical Dac

Cheers

May 28, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 9
For that kind of money why lock yourself into a particular sound? You might find your preference changes over time or is different with different styles of music.

Why not buy a high quality clean & transparent DAC and add the coulouration you like via plug ins or even a decent mixer with parametric EQ? 

You would be hard pushed to get better AD & DA conversion than that on a MOTU Ultralite + loads more facilties/channels and the CueMix software is exceptional.

Also for your budget you might even be able to afford a RME Fireface or even a Metric Halo. This is an market where the prosumer audio products piss all over the audiophile quality equivalents in terms of value.

May 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
For that kind of money why lock yourself into a particular sound? You might find your preference changes over time or is different with different styles of music.

Why not buy a high quality clean & transparent DAC and add the coulouration you like via plug ins or even a decent mixer with parametric EQ? 

You would be hard pushed to get better AD & DA conversion than that on a MOTU Ultralite + loads more facilties/channels and the CueMix software is exceptional.

Also for your budget you might even be able to afford a RME Fireface or even a Metric Halo. This is an market where the prosumer audio products piss all over the audiophile quality equivalents in terms of value.

Is is possible to add the colouration via plugins?? I sounds interesting @@""...

I know that a lot of people like to get high quality clean and transparent DAC, And the Red Wind Audio Isabellina tend to be sound like that and warm.

May 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Is is possible to add the colouration via plugins?? I sounds interesting @@""...

I know that a lot of people like to get high quality clean and transparent DAC, And the Red Wind Audio Isabellina tend to be sound like that and warm.

Yes it´s possible and there are Tube vst plugins wich perform really well just adding a nice subtle warmth, for me very useful with lower quality recordings lacking body. This one is free http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Tube

Another one wich i like is this http://www.spl.info/software/twintube/short-description.html

I would buy neutral equipment and add your warmth with this type of stuff, im sure that it´s possible to convince even the hardcore tube lovers with this stuff as long they don´t know that it´s a software :D

May 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 9
I would definitely go for the Reference 8. Audio-GD have very, very good part:cost ratio. They also have some very, very good DACs as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back