DAC suggestions?
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Neobenedict

New Head-Fier
Hi, looking for suggestions for a new DAC.

Considering Schiit's chronic issues with their dacs (AC line noise = cut out DAC, USB issues, driver issues), and the fact that they seem to be permanently out of stock in the UK, I've decided to look elsewhere.

Requirements:
  • 24/96 or higher, preferably USB + toslink + coaxial input. It's feeding a Schiit Valhalla 2 + DT 1990s. RCA out.
  • Easily available in the UK or europe. I don't want to import from abroad if possible.
  • Fairly small and lightweight, something that can go on a desk.

I also want it to look good if it's expensive. Either it'll be a showpiece on my desk (preferably) or hidden away if it's ugly.

There's a ton of line noise from just my standard computer headphones out, so I'm looking to eliminate that.

Budget: Up to £300 depending on the unit.

Musical Fidelity V90-DAC and Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 (Black) both look good, I'll have to look at some in-depth reviews. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 12
There's a ton of line noise from just my standard computer headphones out, so I'm looking to eliminate that.

If the noise in your setup is due to a ground loop, no DAC is going to eliminate it using USB -- at least the ones I have, including the OL DAC, didn't. Only one with optical in (from your PC's onboard, normally) would not be affected by that kind of noise.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 12
If the noise in your setup is due to a ground loop, no DAC is going to eliminate it using USB -- at least the ones I have, including the OL DAC, didn't. Only one with optical in (from your PC's onboard, normally) would not be affected by that kind of noise.
Large inductive loads (fans) turning off cause an audible pop too. They used to completely kill my modi. I'm thinking about going optical in with a new DAC if USB has the same issues.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 12
ODac, EL Dac from JDS Lab are good :) EL Dac has a more attractive physical apperance - LED light that indicates on and off.

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Wouldn't Magni 2u eliminate any supposed issues with USB by allowing coax or optical?

Grace SDAC on Massdrop is viable, but you could also technically use a lot of mobile amp/dacs as just a dac and run it through line out.

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Hi, looking for suggestions for a new DAC.
Considering Schiit's chronic issues with their dacs (AC line noise = cut out DAC, USB issues, driver issues), and the fact that they seem to be permanently out of stock in the UK, I've decided to look elsewhere.
Requirements:
  • 24/96 or higher, preferably USB + toslink + coaxial input. It's feeding a Schiit Valhalla 2 + DT 1990s. RCA out.
  • Easily available in the UK or europe. I don't want to import from abroad if possible.
  • Fairly small and lightweight, something that can go on a desk.
I also want it to look good if it's expensive. Either it'll be a showpiece on my desk (preferably) or hidden away if it's ugly.
Budget: Up to £300 depending on the unit.
Musical Fidelity V90-DAC and Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 (Black) both look good, I'll have to look at some in-depth reviews. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It would ship from Hong Kong, but you would really get your money's worth.
Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, assuming price to your door at around 270 to 290 GBP.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
You would get a really nice DAC, which could connect to your Valhalla 2 and it also come with a solid state headphone amplifier.

Or just save some cash and buy a DAC from Hifimediy, $42-$70.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 12
A few years ago I bought a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, and I recently upgraded the amp to the Valhalla 2. I'm very happy with this setup and listen to it almost every day.
From what I remember, the smaller version, the DacMagic 100, is exactly the same except that it does not have the amp (not needed in your case). It is a very compact and IMO beautiful design. Even if they are not the latest devices on the market, I think they are still very good (an old review from 2012 made with a lab analyzer shows the quality of the DM even when compared to many current devices), in particular considering the price.
DacMagic is not compatible with DSD, if you are considering using that format.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 12
A few years ago I bought a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, and I recently upgraded the amp to the Valhalla 2. I'm very happy with this setup and listen to it almost every day.
From what I remember, the smaller version, the DacMagic 100, is exactly the same except that it does not have the amp (not needed in your case). It is a very compact and IMO beautiful design. Even if they are not the latest devices on the market, I think they are still very good (an old review from 2012 made with a lab analyzer shows the quality of the DM even when compared to many current devices), in particular considering the price.
DacMagic is not compatible with DSD, if you are considering using that format.
I have yet to crack open a DacMagic Plus here. Hmmm I think its time I put one out. Thanks for reminding me lol

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I bought a topping d30. It seems to be okay so far and there is zero audible static for me - at least over background with semi-open headphones. The sound is good. I feel like there's more bass than there was when I used my modi, in fact I'm happy with zero EQ on my music. I can't say if that's my ears just ajusting to the temporary DAC I was using (a mixer) or an actual change. Will report back if there are any issues like cutting out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back