DAC Suggestion Needed Please
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

IvanE92

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.

I own a set of Focal Clear OGs and a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp (that came with a new Psvane 5AR4 and NOS Westinghouse 6DE7 x 2).

So far, so good - mostly; however, things can get a bit muddy in the low to mid range. Particularly when there's a lot going on in the music. Take various genres of metal, for example, with two tuned down guitars, bass guitars, and (plenty of) drums... I could really use some more instrument separation. Not enough "pop" or "clarity" to my ears.

Currently pairing my setup with Tidal and a JDS Labs Atom DAC+. Budget is <$1000 new or used. No need for bluetooth. MQA is interesting - haven't tried it - but not a requirement.

Thanks much in advance.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Hey, some that come to mind are the RME ADI-2, Denafrips Ares II, Soekris dac2541 (just over budget used)... there are other good sub-$1000 DACs.

You might also prefer a different headphone more than the Focal.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 3
The SMSL M400 with the AK4499 chip and MQA support. Or the Gustard A18 DAC that uses the same TOTL chip, but without MQA support.

These are some of the best most natural sounding DACs in my opinion and I prefer the sound signature over the ES9038Pro chips. The AK4499 chip is more natural sounding and the ES9038Pro chip will be more sparkly in the highs but both are definitely clear sounding and will elevate your music. So look for DACs with either of those chipsets and you’re good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back