DAC Suggestion - Do Advise.
Oct 31, 2023 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

antz123

100+ Head-Fier
Usually, if I ask for solutions, I have a shortlist in mind, as I have some experience, whether it's a DAP or Earphones. I do not understand DACs as such, the more I read more confused I am.

I do understand dedicated DACs are costlier compared to multi-functional ones.

I have a set of active bookshelf speakers. I got the plugged into my Desktop PC. I want to get myself a DAC that could help me with better sound control and connectivity. In future I wish to get myself an active subwoofer, thus ideally want to have a 2.1 channel.

I would be using Active speakers and later on an Active subwoofer, thus somewhere a dedicated DAC seems fine, but may be in my price range I have to settle for something else.

Now the tough part is that my budget is around 200$ and I am not sure what are the options for me. Any advice would be great, Thank You.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 3
Usually, if I ask for solutions, I have a shortlist in mind, as I have some experience, whether it's a DAP or Earphones. I do not understand DACs as such, the more I read more confused I am.

I do understand dedicated DACs are costlier compared to multi-functional ones.

I have a set of active bookshelf speakers. I got the plugged into my Desktop PC. I want to get myself a DAC that could help me with better sound control and connectivity. In future I wish to get myself an active subwoofer, thus ideally want to have a 2.1 channel.

I would be using Active speakers and later on an Active subwoofer, thus somewhere a dedicated DAC seems fine, but may be in my price range I have to settle for something else.

Now the tough part is that my budget is around 200$ and I am not sure what are the options for me. Any advice would be great, Thank You.
Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by "better sound control." An app running on the PC is already going to be better than that. As for connectivity, you might be better off with a connectivity box rather than a dedicated DAC (and they're typically cheaper, too).

A quality, dedicated DAC is definitely costlier and of higher sound quality than a DAC-Amp or other combination. However, it's not going to improve sound with active bookshelf speakers over a desktop PC. If you were talking about headphones, it might, but it depends on the headphone, amp, how bad the PC's DAC is, etc., etc. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 3
Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by "better sound control." An app running on the PC is already going to be better than that. As for connectivity, you might be better off with a connectivity box rather than a dedicated DAC (and they're typically cheaper, too).

A quality, dedicated DAC is definitely costlier and of higher sound quality than a DAC-Amp or other combination. However, it's not going to improve sound with active bookshelf speakers over a desktop PC. If you were talking about headphones, it might, but it depends on the headphone, amp, how bad the PC's DAC is, etc., etc. Your money is better spent elsewhere.
As I said I am very noob in this, so I am going as per my understanding that comes from reading various sources, I might be wrong but I felt improvements in audio/audio management could come from -
1) DAC can give me balanced sound option
2) My motherboard does not have great sound. I have read across forums that in a battle of DAC vs Sound-card, DAC wins. Moreover, the background noise with a DAC should go down as well.
3) I want to also use my DAP as a music player with my speakers, so I thought DAC can help me integrate all of this.
4) Future upgrade of an Active subwoofer woofer might get smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back