DAC Solution?
May 3, 2007 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
I made a thread similar to this a few days ago, but there have been some changes in my setup since then. I just today received my 250GB WD external HDD, gigabig switch, and Linksys NSLU2 NAS. Right now I'm in the process of copying my collection over to the external HDD (around 1800 songs, ~45GB). I tried streaming from some of the 320kbps bitrate MP3's and lossless AAC's, and it sounds great. Now I'm able to stream my music from any computer.
biggrin.gif

Now I have to worry about how I'm going to output it. As of right now, all I have is onboard Realtek 97 audio. What would be the best option for basically getting the music from my hard drive to my headphones (DT990)? I'm working with approximately $200. Keep in mind that I already have a Rockhopper M3, if needed to be combined with a DAC. Another option would be selling that to pay for a more expensive DAC/amp combo (so add the resale value of the M3 to the $200).

Suggestions?

May 3, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 31
Corda Aria? That's all I can recommend as it's the only amp I've used
tongue.gif
- but it seriously is great value for money, considering it has a decent DAC stuck to it..

I have bought a Firestone Audio Fubar II, on it's way.. I'll have to listen to it first then maybe I'll keep posting..
600smile.gif

May 3, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E-Mu 0404 USB. DAC + Amp. Excellent DAC, decent amp, can always upgrade to a better amp later on.

By "+ Amp", are you referring to the built-in one on the Emu or the Rockhopper that I already have?

May 3, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 31
Anyone else? Also, if I was to get a USB Emu 0404, what would be the best way to connect it to my Rockhopper M3? It accepts RCA, but I don't know much more than that (I'm still a tad confused about cabling protocols).

May 5, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else? Also, if I was to get a USB Emu 0404, what would be the best way to connect it to my Rockhopper M3? It accepts RCA, but I don't know much more than that (I'm still a tad confused about cabling protocols).

Depends what the output of the 0404 is.. I have no experience whatsoever with a full-sized PC soundcard (laptop user)..

If the 0404 puts out RCA, you use RCA to RCA cabling.. If a 3.5mm/mini jack, you use a 3.5mm/mini to RCA cabling..

May 5, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

The RCA jacks are for coaxial S/PDIF (digital) input and output. There are a 3.5mm stereo phone jack and 1/4" phone jacks (balanced or unbalanced) for analog output, so you could use either a 3.5mm–dual RCA cable or two 1/4"–RCA cables.

May 5, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corda Aria?

That's a $450 piece of hardware, and the OP is looking to spend less than half of that.

I would take advantage of the HeadRoom sale and get a Total BitHead for $149, which will give you both a headphone amp and DAC in a tidy little package.

May 6, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mitchell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RCA jacks are for coaxial S/PDIF (digital) input and output. There are a 3.5mm stereo phone jack and 1/4" phone jacks (balanced or unbalanced) for analog output, so you could use either a 3.5mm–dual RCA cable or two 1/4"–RCA cables.

So RCA and coaxial are synonomous? Therefore I could run two RCA cables from the USB Emu to the L and R RCA jacks on the M3?

May 6, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

So RCA and coaxial are synonomous? Therefore I could run two RCA cables from the USB Emu to the L and R RCA jacks on the M3?

Err, no, RCA is the termination. The cable carrying the signal is coaxial. From what I've read above the RCA jack on the Emu is for digital input from your computer or CD player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mitchell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I gather from the above you could use a 1/8" stereo to RCA adapter and a pair of RCA cables to your amp or you could buy an interconnect teminated to match the connections.

David Mitchell also noted that there are TRS jacks on the E-mu, this is more common in the pro audio world.

May 6, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back