DAC shootout: Audiophile 192 vs. Channel Islands VDA2
Aug 20, 2007 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

deadie

500+ Head-Fier
Fellow audio nuts and gear heads, I come to you with questions on some strange happenings encountered doing a shoot-out between two DACs and two portable amps.

First, the equipment:

Amps: RSA Hornet M & Headroom Micro 2006 w/ Desktop Module
DACs: Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 & M-Audio Audiophile 192 Soundcard
Headphone: Senn600

Audio path:

1) Computer – FLAC – Foobar (ASIO4ALL doesn't want to work with the soundcard for some reason, sees 4 channels and putzs out.
mad.gif
) – Audiophile 192 SPDIF Coax – VDA2 – RCAs - Amps

2) Same, up to Audiophile analog balanced / unbalanced TRS female – TRS male to RCA female – RCAs to amps.

(The Audiophile 192 outputs balanced TRS, which of course my adding a RCA unbalances it, as the RCAs lack a ground.)

I bought the Audiophile card as a relatively cheap way ($113 @ Guitar Center, match Zipzoomfly.com) to getting a balanced source as compared to the mega buck Benchmark DAC1, Apogee Mini-DAC, etc etc.

My plan was to get the card, get high quality TRS male to XLR male cables, and run it to a balanced headphone amp / stereo preamp, etc.

Ok. I don't have the balanced amp or headphones yet, so I figured I'd try out the card to see how it stacks up against my much loved VDA-2 DAC. This is where the first interesting thing showed up.

Using both the Hornet and the Headroom Micro on "high" gain settings, with the volume turned all the way up and no music playing, the unbalanced TRSs out of the soundcard were astoundingly, shockingly quiet. Near silent. I really really had to strain to hear hiss. This was in stark contrast to my heretofore-thought-of-as-kick-all-kinds-of-ass VDA2 out of coax digital to the amps. Loads and loads of of hiss, static, and ticks even.

So that's my first question. Whuzgoingon?
blink.gif

1) Is the Audiophile 192 soundcard that much "better" of a DAC to offer a much better, blacker background?

2) Or is there something inherent in the digital coax interface that's noisier?

BTW, there are two analog out "avenues" on the Audiophile 192. On the dongle, there are "Main" outs and "Monitor" outs. The Monitor outputs are just slightly, slightly noisier than the Main, which is near dead silent.

The second weird thing concerns the amps, ONLY using the digital coax output from the Audiophile to the VDA2.

With the Headroom Micro, on a few songs in very specific passages, I get slight distortion in the left channel when levels peak. For instance, in Angelique Kidjo's new CD, "Djin Djin", track #13, the beautiful Lonlon Ravel's Bolero, at time stamp 51 seconds, her voice crescendos and the Micro slightly distorts on the left channel.

This does not occur in the Hornet. And no, I'm not blasting the Micro and I'm not keeping the Hornet's volume down. Both are the same level. It's almost as if the left channel of the Micro clips, but why not the right?

To add to the weirdness, this clipping / distortion does not happen at all, with neither amp, when using the analog TRS outputs from the Audiophile straight to the amps.

Whew, I hope that all made sense.

So, all this weird mumbo jumbo, and I haven't even told you what I thought of the Audiophile 192. On both an absolute performance as well as a relative price / value basis - awesome! Its analog unbalanced sound straight to the amps is very very nice. Lush, strong, and slightly smoother than the digital output from coax to the VDA2. I can't wait to try it in true balanced configuration to a balanced headphone amp.

I've stayed away from internal sound cards for YEARS b/c of first and third person accounts of how noisy and overall crummy the sound quality was. Well, this certainly changes things for me. The driver installation was a snap, everything went without a hitch except for ASIO4ME spazzing out. This I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out.

Lastly, my VDA2 is among the serial number batch that Dusty is calling home to upgrade a few things in its guts, so we'll see if any of the aforementioned strangeness evaporates with this upgrade.

Peace out and thanks!
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 14
When I had the HR Micro with Destop module and VDA2 I had no problems. Matter of fact, I had many DACs in the past and VDA2 still is my most preferred. It's dead quiet with all my tube amps...except for the toaster MPX3's tube rush noise. The microZOTL was absolutely dead silent against max volume and "zero" play test.

I will be getting my balanced systems any day now
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 14
A quick update to this thread...

As stated above, I was having hiss issues with my VDA-2, with the DAC not being as black in the background as I would have liked. So I sent it back to Dusty at Channel Islands, just a few hours north of me, and I got it back today!

He updated a few innards for free, turned it around like lightning, and shipped it back to me for free! Just amazing customer service.

And the DAC is now silent, at max volume, at max gain on my amps, singing beautiful music again. I had serious DAC withdrawel these past few days, listening to my Denon-DVD2900 and Squeezebox V3 straight out of their analog outputs, with my ears telling my brain that something was just whack.

Now that the DAC's back, no mo' whack, just lovely vocals, plucky guitars, and strong quick bass.

Thanks Dusty!

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Another happy VDA2 owner
biggrin.gif

Dusty has amazing product and he also has amazing service.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 14
^I have it now...and am quite pleased with it.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 14
If you read my sig..."balanced" bug bit me hard...really hard!!!
biggrin.gif
You want to buy my other "toaster"?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sk138, according to your signature you sold your microZOTL. What happened?

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 14
I have an audiophile usb from M-Audio... and a VDA-2. there is no chance M-Audio can even built a dac at the same level as the VDA-2. Something funky is going on....(i'd call your amp first on this comparison, since it's clearly the weakest part of the chain).

in any case, go listen to these two at normal volumes to music.. and see what happens
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 14
^I agree. I have a M-Audio USB Audiophile and it would not match my Lavry either but the VDA-2 might.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 14
Does the Audiophile USB utilize the exact same chipset / DACs / etc etc as the Audiophile 192 PCI card?

I mean, I hear you. This is a $200 PC soundcard vs. a $600 mid/hi consumer DAC. All I know is that using the TRS outputs to RCA to either my Hornet M or Headroom Micro, she sounds amazing both on an absolute basis and even better on a price/value relative one.

I have a Headroom Desktop balanced amp on order, which should be here by the end of next week. I'm anxious to test the balanced TRS outs from the 192 to the VDA2 using the XLR adapter cables that Dusty sells.

Grandemostasa - you're up in the Bay Area. If ever you're in San Diego, you have a standing invitation to do a blind test of the 192 vs. the VDA2, either single ended or balanced!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an audiophile usb from M-Audio... and a VDA-2. there is no chance M-Audio can even built a dac at the same level as the VDA-2. Something funky is going on....(i'd call your amp first on this comparison, since it's clearly the weakest part of the chain).

in any case, go listen to these two at normal volumes to music.. and see what happens
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 14
Feb 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Or is there something inherent in the digital coax interface that's noisier?

At first I thought the same thing about my ESI Juli@ (which is identical to the Audiophile 192 as far as the chips that are on the board). It sounded better through analog outs than the DAC in my Opera. Well, after getting better power cords, digital interconnect, and a power conditioner, the Opera's DAC trumps the performance of the sound card.

What I believe to be the issue is that a computer puts out a ton of EMI. I was experimenting and wrapped my digital cable with tinfoil (7 wraps around). I'll make a separate post about this later but for now you can find it in the cables forum under "my cat tore my VD power cable" thread. Don't laugh at it until you try it. You will be in for quite a surprise if your system reacts anything like mine does to it. The VDA2 (with the additional power supply) should sound as good if not better than the Opera's DAC -- I believe they use the same DAC chips. The problem (as I've discovered) is that a computer is a lousy transport unless you supply it with good, clean power and can block out the EMI from your cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back