DAC same class as the HRT MS2+ but with digital inputs ?
Oct 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tbger99

Head-Fier
Upgrading my playback system, I need a DAC with digital inputs (esp. optical Toslink).

I'm not into upgrading gear as a hobby, I'd rather prefer a permanent upgrade.  Should be something reliable for my projects - it shouldn't color the sound but just do the translate from digital to analog as it should.  Well, optimally ...

I'm currently running the HRT Musicstreamer II+ which I'm quite happy with, and I'd like to get the same or even better performance, with the possibility of digital inputs.

Budget is around $500.

Thanks for reading, hope to get some feedback 
beerchug.gif

Cheers

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 16
I can only go on the reviews, and I realise that makes my contribution next to useless, but consider this : $500 is perilously close to the $750 sticker price on the Centrance DACMini. Its weird - when the DACMagic was about the only reasonably priced kid on the computer audio block, I found myself wishing there were more USB DACs - now that the market is saturated with them, its the coax/optical DACs that catch my attention .......

(feel free to drop by Sound Science for endless debates on the relative merits of each approach - my brief experience with Toslink left me wondering if you need to spend 2-3K to get a decent implementation).

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 16
The Yulong D100 has coaxial and optical. Also what appears to be a good headphone amp.

There's also the DacMagic that estreeter mentioned but didn't flat out recommend. It actually has two coaxial and optical inputs if that sounds interesting to you 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 16
The DM was greeted with wild enthusiasm when it was first released, but there have been so many new DACs since then that you would need to be Donald Trump to keep up.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 16
The one thing that made me steer away from the DacMagic was the filters feature.  I don't know exactly what they do technically (the debate has mainly been about which one sounds better), I did figure out they alter the sound in some way - which I'd rather not to do at the DAC stage.

I've been also focusing on the Stello DA100, though I've read comments implying it is a little bit warm sounding, or veiled sounding, which (as those said) caused it to be less detailed.  I don't know how it compares to the MS2+ (which I'm used to) in this aspect though, but I really don't want to have buyer's remorse on a $500 purchase (used).

It'd be great if there were more DACs that also have that kind of switch allowing you to simultaneously hook a few sources other than USB.  I tried to focus on models without an amplifier as it'll be already feeding an amp (a Phonitor).

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 16
The filters do not really alter the sound - it's just a choice of digital filters - most DACs do not let you choose. The DACMagic remains perfectly neutral on all of them apart from the Steep filter, where you get a 1db rolloff at 20khz, which is most likely inaudible.

The filters certainly do not introduce some kind of colouration to the sound.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 16
Can't agree, filters do alter the sound. For example, with minimum phase filter high frequencies are quite out of phase, not to mention the issue of ringing. It may be not always audible due to countless factors but it does introduce a measurable difference.

EDIT: Not only most most DACs don't let you choose but they most commonly use linear phase filter.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Measureable =/ audible. If you really believe you can hear the difference, just leave it on the linear filter. I was disagreeing at the idea that the DACMagic has filters which colour the sound, which other DACs do not have.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 16
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_phase

The difference between the filters, with the conceivable exception of the last one, is not worth worrying about.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm going to cop plenty for this, but based on the time I've spent with certain CA gear (and others I've auditioned in showrooms), I really believe its voiced for classical buffs over rockers like myself. I know thats a broad statement, but I listened back-to-back and came away preferring Marantz amps every time - horses for courses. Whether the DM carries that 'design decision' through is for others to confirm or deny, but their amps/CDPs have a distinct bias toward treble clarity over warmth and (dare I say it) musicality. Dont get me wrong - the 650C/650A are a fantastic budget combo, but they just seemed too polite for me - not sure if different speakers would have helped.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 16
I would be fascinated to find how a DAC with a flat frequency response could be bright or indeed warm. I would be inclined to put any perceived warmth or brightness down to either personal preference or quite likely the speakers.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I would be fascinated to find how a DAC with a flat frequency response could be bright or indeed warm. I would be inclined to put any perceived warmth or brightness down to either personal preference or quite likely the speakers.

And I'm perfectly happy to go with either of those possibilities. How many people here seem hellbent on finding a 'warm' amp for their 'cold' cans ? Surely it would be easier to just buy cans with the sound signature they were chasing in the first place .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back