DAC replacement for Xonar STX
May 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evilsword

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just switch from a Windows platform to Mac. My windows setup is as follows:

PC --> Xonar Essence STX --> Little Dot MKIII tube amp --> DT880 headphone  250ohm.

I need to replacement the Xonar with a DAC for my Mac platform. Any recommendations? I want the DAC quality to be equivalent of the Xonar and my budget is around $300.

Thanks

May 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 7
I replaced my STX with an ODAC. I thought the ODAC to be just a little better, but that could be listener bias. Certainly is equivalent. Given that the Schiit Modi has been compared favorably with the ODAC (I have not heard it), I would suspect it to be as good as the STX as well.

Both of these are well under your budget :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 7
I replaced my STX with an ODAC. I thought the ODAC to be just a little better, but that could be listener bias. Certainly is equivalent. Given that the Schiit Modi has been compared favorably with the ODAC (I have not heard it), I would suspect it to be as good as the STX as well.

Both of these are well under your budget
smily_headphones1.gif

And where would one buy the ODAC from i have done a search for that ODAC chip but come up empty handed ..

Would love to buy one and try ..

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Right. You have to buy a new separate DAC.

If you want to find out what you can switch out on the STX, skim this thread and talk to them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back