DAC recommendations
Sep 16, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG

mekano, I look forward to seeing the pics and hearing impressions. It came out to $175 with shipping to the US, right?

-Jay

at the current exchange rate ($ to Euro) i paid 110euros plus 20 for shipping....not bad i think

they gave me 2 shipping options (25$ and ~40$) but i chose the cheap one...i really dont mind waiting one+ week extra
rolleyes.gif
(yeah right!
tongue.gif
) and i got a couple of tubes with those 20 i saved

they were quick answering my email and helpful and shipped within 2 days...so far it looks like a serious bussines, i just hope the package doesnt take too long to get home...

m.

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 23
Cool. I sent them an email yesterday and I got a response pretty quickly. I sent them 2 more today, so we'll see how they keep up.
icon10.gif

-Jay

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelFranks
CI VDA-1, very small footprint and a heck of a DAC IMO.

www.ciaudio.com

I second the CI VDA-1. I am currently using mine with an airport express and apple lossless files. I no longer have a cdp. The CI can be modded by Dan Wright at Modwright. You can also buy the CI VAC-1 power supply which is supposed to be an improvement.

Sep 17, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #20 of 23
I found some more out about the components used in the DAC-AH. I asked what caps he used and I got this reply:

the filter cap is Sanyo low ERS type and Elan, Sanyo OS Con, output cap is Philips.

I don't know much about caps, but they aren't any of the ones that I have heard are really good. Could someone who knows more than me give a heads up about their quality?

Thanks.

-Jay

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 23
JayG, there is someone planning on building the dddac1543 for others, approved of by the original designer. It will use very good parts inside and look nice, but it will cost a bit more too. PM me if you want his email.

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 23
There are a lot of options in the used market on Audiogon.com. For instance, there is a MSB Link DAC III with the optional power for $250, or a MSB Link II for $165. There are also several Audio Alchemy and EAD dac at that price point too.

Or, if space is a concern, you can get state of the art performance from a EMU 1212m sound card for $200. It will best many DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back