DAC recommendations
Sep 14, 2004 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JayG

100+ Head-Fier
I have switched to computer-based-source like I thought I would never do because at college it is just so much easier and space efficient, and I have approximately -5 square feet in my room. However, I am looking to make my PowerBook based system sound significantly better. I am currently using an Airport Express, but since I did not have room to keep my HT Receiver here at school, I am using the analog out from the APE directly to my Perreaux and my HD600s. The DAC in my PowerBook is not what I would call impressive, and I am looking for an upgrade. I was looking at the Benchmark DAC1 and the Ack dAck! but right now they are pretty much in the category of unaffordable, especially since I also have to buy an external HDD because my lossless audio files are taking up my entire hard drive and I'm only about halfway through importing my CDs.

What sort of DACs could I get that would give me a noticeable and significant improvement in sound enough to keep me happy at a budget of < $300 and preferable < $200? I know that's a tight budget, but I would be happy to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

-Jay

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG
a budget of < $300 and preferable < $200? I know that's a tight budget, but I would be happy to hear suggestions.

Now here's a Head-Fier who's speaking my language! All my DACs cost less that $200. I'm still in the process of comparing them, but here's my initial observations:

Audio Alchemy DDE 1.2: Rare, but when you can find 'em, they're around $150. Warm & glowey sounding. Doesn't compare well to other DACs in A/B tests due to a slight lack of detail; but it's smooth, easy-going charms come into their own with extended listening.

Entech Number Cruncher 205.2: used to be easy to find on eBay for around $100, but I haven't seen any in a while. I suspect its because people hang on to them once they get them...quite good for the money, detailed & easy to listen to. Perhaps a tad edgy in the highs.

Rotel RDP-980: Rare, but can be had for around $200. My favorite of the lot for everyday listening. Detailed, but with warm (in all the right ways), smooth highs. Delicious!

Other units you might want to check out (that I haven't heard): MSB Link, M-Audio SuperDAC, and the Art D/IO.

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 23
IMHO, the best used DAC in this price range is a Cal audio sigma. I bought mine for $230, and I have certainly seen them for less. (Non matter what you pay for one, it is worth a call to Upscale Audio for a $45 Mullard tube upgrade -- it only takes one tube -- as it will make a world of difference.) The resolution is not great, but the sound is lush.

My second choice would be an EAD (Enlightened Audio Design) DAC. Find one with an ugly face plate as they sell for nothing but sound great (EAD put gold plates on the faces of these things and they did not wear well though the electronics do.) Slightly better resolution than the CAL, but less lush (due, in no small part, to no tubes.)

Other great buys can be found among older theta DACs.

Check audiogon.com for all of these.

-d

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 23
I have had an AOS Piccolo DAC ($270) for a month now, and I think it is fantastic. I am using an iBook and a JMT Portable amp with it and it is a significant improvement. There is great instrument separation, better space and most important bass. It is a remarkeable unit. It is also tiny, about the size of a credit card.

dshea

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the specs and looks of the CI VDA-1 but there is no price listed on the manufacturer's site and in one of the reviews it quotes $349 which is a little too high for me. Can it be had cheaper?

I looked into the Cal Sigma but from your description it doesn't sound like the best option for me. With the combination of the Perreaux and teh HD-600s the sound of my system is fairly laid back and I don't know that adding a lush DAC that doesn't possess great resolution would a good idea. I haven't heard it, though, so I don't know for sure.

I found an Ead DSP 1000 III on Audiogon for $250. It says it is black and makes no mention of a gold faceplate. I couldn't find any reviews of it though, does anyone have any information? Is it a good DAC and is that a good price?

I have looked at the Piccolo in the past and I must admit it is tempting. I love its tiny size, but the only thing I am worried about is whether it is the best option for the money considering that some of the price you pay is for the convenience of its size. I don't really plan on using my DAC as a portable device, although I can't say I won't change my mind at some point.

Clark, I am looking into your suggestions, thank you.

Keep them coming, I appreciate it.

-Jay

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 23
The DacKit by Scott Nixon is another low price, small footprint option.

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 23
I also use a Sigma II DAC with a GE black plate triple mica 5751 tube.. I believe the concensus is that the 5751 tube has a little less mush than the 12ax7 varities.. I'm using it with a Toshiba 3960 as a transport, Headroom Supreme amp (soon to be reaplced with headsave classic) and HD580 'hones.. amazingly great sound.

I was listening to Diana Krall's latest last night, the tube bottom and middle can't be touched, so lush.

I'll be picking up a used Cal Alpha 24/96 for my main system as soon as I can justify blowing some more cashola on audio stuff.. it's a disease I tell you.

Sep 14, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

I found an Ead DSP 1000 III on Audiogon for $250. It says it is black and makes no mention of a gold faceplate. I couldn't find any reviews of it though, does anyone have any information? Is it a good DAC and is that a good price?

A little more info here (http://www.alphadigitaltech.com/ look under products -> past products.) I have not heard an EAD in a few years, but the dealer that I knew who sold them had a good ear and I remember liking them at the time. I recall it paired well with CEC, Melos, Symphonic Line, and B&W if that means anything -- in other words, very sweet and full sounding.

The price looks about like where I have seen them sell, but I have not really shopped for one so I can't be sure. It is probably worth looking at trends on audiogon to get a good feel.

-doug

Edit -> It looks like the 7000 series is the gold one, so this is probably the one I have heard.

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 23
Well, I had found an Entech 203.2 on eBay for very cheap but I wasn't able to be at the computer when it ended and it got away at the last minute.
mad.gif

I seem to have my choices narrowed down to 3, and I would love to hear some advice.

1. CIAudio VDA-1. Most like without the power supply upgrade, so keep this in mind.

2. AOS Piccolo DAC

3. Non-oversampling DAC-AH (http://www.diyclub.biz/catalog/produ...roducts_id=270)

The CIAudio by all rights should be the best, but it is also the most expensive. I have also heard that it may roll off the the extreme highs and lows slightly and also that you need the power supply upgrade to get the best out of it.. The Piccolo by AOS's own admission uses some parts that sacrifice performance slightly for size and power consumption. Since I will not be using it as a portable devide, are these trade-offs worth it? I have heard a lot of good things about Non-OS DACs and I will be using this almost entirely for Redbook, so I don't need oversampling if it isn't going to sound better. I found this DAC on some other posts here at Head-fi but it didn't look like anyone here had ordered it and posted their impressions. If anyone has it I would really really appreciate some info. It uses the TDA1543, 8 of them in parallel, and the BB OPA602. It has no jitter control. It is $135 + $40 shipping from Hong Kong (I believe).

I also would love to know if there is an affordable, quality mini-optical to optical cable available? I need it for going between the APE and the DAC. I have the Monster Cable that came with the APE but I don't think it's a great cable.

I guess I am also considering the Scott Nixon DAC, but in that case I would need some kind of converter or cable to go from mini-optical to digital coax. Is there anything that can do with without degrading the signal and also be affordable?

Thanks.

-Jay

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 23
If you're considering the DAC-AH then you might also consider the DDDAC1543, which does have the option for reclocking (to control jitter). I'm not sure how much it costs assembled, but the kit prices are at the main website .

Iron_Dreamer and another guy are getting one in about a month IIRC, and I know that at least Iron_Dreamer has listened to a lot of other sources, so you might want to wait to hear from them.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

I also would love to know if there is an affordable, quality mini-optical to optical cable available?

The Glass Toslink cable on eBay has been recommended on more than one occasion. At $30 for 1 meter, $35 for 2 meters, it certainly is a good deal if it's as good a cable as people say it is.

Head-Fi member mahkook had an Entech Number Cruncher, but sold it when he got a VDA-1. You might ping him for some impressions, I talked to him soon after he got the Channel Islands unit and he said he noticed subtle improvement. You're probably stuck paying full retail for one (unless you're lucky & fast), they turn up on Audiogon or the 'for sale' forums here occasionally, but don't get discounted all that much and get snapped up pretty quickly. Not to mention Dusty is a cool guy, and another Audio Alchemy alum.

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 23
I had been looking at the DDDAC1543, but I have yet to find it anywhere available as an assembled complete product. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources right now to make it myself, so I need a complete solution. The DDDAC1534 is the reason I found the DAC-AH.

Clarke, thanks for the suggestion for the cable, that's exactly what I'm looking for, except I need it to be mini-toslink on one end. Are there cheap converters that work well, or does he make a version of his cable with one mini-end?

mekano, I look forward to seeing the pics and hearing impressions. It came out to $175 with shipping to the US, right?

-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back