DAC Recommendations?
Dec 7, 2010 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

herro

Head-Fier
I am currently in the process of either building or buying a DAC. I am looking to spend about $250-$350 USD. At the moment I am leaning towards a y2 full build.

I realise there are not too many projects in the range I specified, just from searching around. They are either cheaper builds like the alien/grub or more expensive things like the buffalo32 and beyond. I am interested in some of the chinese products (something like http://shop.ebay.com/raindrop_hui/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340) being sold on ebay, though. From my searches it seems like a fair share of people buy 'cheaper' dacs in the $100-$400 range and then do their own mods to them, such as swapping opamps etc.

Can anyone recommend some of the ebay/chinese products that are within my range and/or easily modified? Looking for something that would get me at least a comparable quality to the y2 or better. Size isn't too much of an issue, but it must have USB.

Other items I've found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gigawork-DIR-9001-24-192-Up-sampling-DAC-DA-CONVERTER-/160510993000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255f336268

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 22
If you're looking for a affordable Chinese DAC with alot of discussion on mods, the Valab NOS comes to mind.

I imagine it will sound very different from the y2 though (disclaimer: I have personally heard neither)

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 22
I'm looking for something quality but not expensive that comes as a kit and can do 24/192 over USB.  With a good quality headphone amp, too.  If I can't find anything I'm just going to get the Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 22
I believe the Gamma 2 would be compared to other high end DACs that also have the Wolfson WM8742 DAC chip like the Twisted Pear Opus. Even though the WM8742 does 24/192, the Gamma 2 only does 24/96. Also, I don't think USB can do higher than 16/48 audio, no matter what DAC you get. You'd have to use optical or coax for a higher bit depth and sample rate.

I think you can get a used Gamma-2 for around $300. MisterX builds them for around $400, I think. I wouldn't mess with a cheaper DAC from eBay knowing that if you spend a little bit more you'll get way more bang for your buck.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 22
I second the suggestion to contact MisterX. Prior to attempting my own smd builds, I contracted him to build a y1 for me. I was able to get exactly what I wanted at an excellent price. Communications through out the process were top-notch as was the turn around time as well as the quality of the end build. Highly recommended.

Considering he had a major part in the design of the y2 and has built a ton of them, I can think of no one as qualified to deliver the end product (well, except for Ti :wink: ).

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 22
Actually, once compiling the BoM for the y2, the first thing I did a few days ago was contact him as his prices were a very fair amount over the parts cost. Just waiting for a response as of now. 90% sure I'm going with the y2 but just wanted to check around to see if there were better options for a similar price.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 22
I've been taking a look at some projects/mod journals like these for the Chinese amps (from google and threads on diyaudio). Very informative but I was perhaps looking for people that could compare these dacs/mods with other DIY/commercial dacs that are the same price/more expensive. As I am leaning towards the y2 it would be great to get a comparison from someone that can compare a y2 to one of these (or even other commercial dacs in the same price range).

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
I believe the Gamma 2 would be compared to other high end DACs that also have the Wolfson WM8742 DAC chip like the Twisted Pear Opus. Even though the WM8742 does 24/192, the Gamma 2 only does 24/96. Also, I don't think USB can do higher than 16/48 audio, no matter what DAC you get. You'd have to use optical or coax for a higher bit depth and sample rate.

I think you can get a used Gamma-2 for around $300. MisterX builds them for around $400, I think. I wouldn't mess with a cheaper DAC from eBay knowing that if you spend a little bit more you'll get way more bang for your buck.

There are plenty of DACs that do 24/192 through USB. The Musiland Monitor 02 US is just one example.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 22
How is the Musiland Monitor 02 US?  I was looking into the Zero DAC but it can't do more than 16/48 over USB, but reviews were impressed greatly by it.  I want to get HD-650s to go with.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Actually, once compiling the BoM for the y2, the first thing I did a few days ago was contact him as his prices were a very fair amount over the parts cost. Just waiting for a response as of now. 90% sure I'm going with the y2 but just wanted to check around to see if there were better options for a similar price.

I think the true value of what MisterX brings to the table can only be appreciated after you have successfully built a y2 yourself.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 22
Don't forget to add in shipping and tax on your parts purchases.  Some folk always forget to add that into their budget, and it artificially makes things seem cheaper, especially when you need to source parts from 3 or more vendors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back