DAC recommendations under 10,000 bucks
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #31 of 46
Worth giving the existing Chord QBD a listen to so you have some idea of whether or not you like the Chord sound and if you are in no hurry then to wait and see what the new version is like with Hugo tech. Expect many more taps

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #33 of 46
Your rig is just awesome.

Do you listen to music much?

Thanks, all the time wpro and play, so I spend 6-8 hours a day listening. Love finding new music.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #34 of 46
I'd go for an ODAC.  I think you can probably find one on the second-hand market for under $10,000.  AND it's portable; just pop in a 9V battery and you're good to go.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #35 of 46
TotalDac D1-dual. The best R2R dac.
And... "When you go R2R you never get back"

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 46
Coming back to my criticism of the british DAC mentioned before: the TotalDAC looks very german inside :wink:
technically an interesting solution, but nothing I'd shell out 10k for I guess. I would find it much more compelling if it had a more analog feel to it (inline with its implementation of a DAC actually), i.e. ditch the display, add some controls to the front. But that may of course be a matter of taste...

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #39 of 46
Totally agree about the Lampi Phil (its crazy good). I have a big 7 and its a total dream…to me, its better than the commendable TotalDac. In DSD its divine.
Rolling tubes with it is easy and fun too. Totally changing the voicing is  thus very easy.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #40 of 46
Of the DACs I have heard in that price range, I liked the Bricasti the best. Although i have not heard them, I have read nothing but praise for Totaldac and for the Empirical Audio Overdrive SE, and both companies allow you to try and return the DAC if not to your taste.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #41 of 46
Everbody allows you to try and return, just some give longer trial periods than others. Afterall, you pay upfront anyway. Phasure Nos1A is probably the longest and they too have a very loyal following!

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #42 of 46
I agree to a point, BUT if you get a well implemented R-2R such as the Audio Note DAC 4.1 for example, that is again streets ahead. I was all over Delta-Sigma until I heard it....

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #43 of 46
Just thought i'd also give a +1 for the Bricasti M1.

Quality construction and magnificent performance.

Not compared to TotalDac so cant say which is "better". I can just say the Bricasti kicks ass.:o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back