DAC recommendations for Rokit RP5 G2 monitors?
Jul 31, 2011 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cheezies

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Rokit RP5 G2 monitors that I have been thoroughly enjoying for the past 2 weeks. Currently I am using the headphone out on my MacBook Pro to a 3.5 mini to RCA adapter and some a pair of RCA cables from an old VHS player. I am hoping getting a quality DAC will improve my listening experience. Since I am using studio monitors, should balanced outputs be an important deciding factor? I have read mixed opinions on this, some say it sounds better, others say it's only useful for very long cable runs.

I am considering the following ...
- Maverick D1 (good reviews, op-amp and tube rolling options, volume control), $220 + $20 online
- Cambridge DacMagic (also good reviews but expensive, has balanced outputs, not much documentation online for mods, no volume control), $470 local
- Matrix Mini-I (volume control, LCD display, remote control, balanced output, cheaper than DacMagic), $300 + $50 eBay
- E-MU 0404 USB, $250 local

Thank you!
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 10
The D1 and Mini-I will be more convenient as all-in-one solutions.
The DACMagic may be okay, but you will have to use the volume dials on the RP5's.
Also consider the Audio-gd FUN, another all-in-one type unit.
Whether single-ended RCA or balanced XLR will be better, I don't know.
The Mini-I might be your best bet.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Right now I'm leaning towards the Mini-I because of the remote control and balanced outputs. However, I feel that I will miss out on the op-amp and tube rolling options the TubeMagic provides.

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Tube rolling, perhaps; but as far as opamp-rolling, unless you can solder, then I feel it is not really worth it that much.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
The D1 and Mini-I will be more convenient as all-in-one solutions.
The DACMagic may be okay, but you will have to use the volume dials on the RP5's.
Also consider the Audio-gd FUN, another all-in-one type unit.
Whether single-ended RCA or balanced XLR will be better, I don't know.
The Mini-I might be your best bet.

This. I am running my RP6's and RP10s from my FUN and the sound is awesome. Have been enjoying this for a long time now.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Tube rolling, perhaps; but as far as opamp-rolling, unless you can solder, then I feel it is not really worth it that much.

I think the opamps on the TubeMagic aren't hard soldered though, I think you just pop them out and put new ones in. Not sure how big of a difference they make though as I've never done it myself.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
This. I am running my RP6's and RP10s from my FUN and the sound is awesome. Have been enjoying this for a long time now.

Have you had a chance to compare RP6's with the RP5's? When I told the salesman that I would get the 10S sub-woofer later, he recommended that I stick with RP5's instead of RP6's.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I think the opamps on the TubeMagic aren't hard soldered though, I think you just pop them out and put new ones in. Not sure how big of a difference they make though as I've never done it myself.

That's not at all what I meant.  If you cannot solder, you are stuck rolling opamps that come in DIP form, which are mostly jellybeans, weirdos, too distorted, or just not refined enough until you get to the soulless AD797 and noisy HA3-2525.  The best opamps to play with, in my opinion, only come in SOIC form, which require that you solder them to DIP adapters.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

Have you had a chance to compare RP6's with the RP5's? When I told the salesman that I would get the 10S sub-woofer later, he recommended that I stick with RP5's instead of RP6's.

I haven't no. I started with the 6's and added a sub later. If I had of known I'd be adding a sub, I probably would have gotten the 5's. Either way sounds awesome, but if you have the sub you just don't need the extra bass the 6's give you.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

That's not at all what I meant.  If you cannot solder, you are stuck rolling opamps that come in DIP form, which are mostly jellybeans, weirdos, too distorted, or just not refined enough until you get to the soulless AD797 and noisy HA3-2525.  The best opamps to play with, in my opinion, only come in SOIC form, which require that you solder them to DIP adapters.

Thanks Mad Max! Though I am quite comfortable with soldering that is good information to know.

When I was shopping at my local Tom Lee store today, I found this interface for about $250. Roland QUAD-CAPTURE

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1166
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sb1ES7nyFs

According to the specifications, it offers 24 bit signal processing and 192 KHz sampling, low latency streaming, segregated digital and analog circuit boards. Has anyone had any experience with Roland interfaces?

I've read that the Maverick D1 doesn't provide that great of a USB connection (quality limited to 16 bits 44 Hz and circuit noise) and some members ended up using another box to convert USB to optical and then passing the optical signal into the D1. The Roland appears to have this magical low noise, low latency USB streaming technology that solves this problem. Though I'm not sure if it's just marketing or proven technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back