DAC recommendations ~ $1,000.00 AU for broad musical tastes
May 3, 2012 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

W0lfd0g

Banned member: MoatsArt
Hi all

After a DAC somewhere in the region of $1,000.00 AU.  Am looking at the following four options:

Woo Audio WDS 1
Audio Lab M-DAC
Meier Audio Stage DAC
Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus

Will be running both Cambridge Audio 550C and Asus Xonar STX through it so needs multiple selectable inputs.  Further down the chain I have a Meier Audio Concero & LCD 2 (rev. 2). 

As seen in my profile, I listen to all sorts of music - Classical (chamber & orchestral), jazz, prog rock etc.

Would prefer an enjoyable to an analytical sound.  Leaning towards the EE Minimax DAC Plus due to the choice of SS/tube in the one unit.  Interested in experimenting with the effects of different op amps and tubes. 

Which would you recommend and for what reasons?  Please only respond if you have heard the DAC you are recommending. 

Thanks in advance

May 3, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Consider Benchmark as well. No hype, and the most well documented/measured/performing DAC I've seen.

May 3, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Consider Benchmark as well. No hype, and the most well documented/measured/performing DAC I've seen.

Thanks for your feedback.  I have to agree that it looks like a nice, no-nonsense unit.  At $1,600.00 here in Australia, it's a bit more than I am prepared to pay, though.  I'd rather keep the DAC spend to $1K and have some change for another set of cans. 

May 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Have the Eastern Electric DAC Plus which I have bought from I-Enjoy(Australia)and I am very happy with it.It has the Sabre chip and you can select tube or op amp.Only positive info online.Worth considering.

May 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Have the Eastern Electric DAC Plus which I have bought from I-Enjoy(Australia)and I am very happy with it.It has the Sabre chip and you can select tube or op amp.Only positive info online.Worth considering.

This looks very interesting indeed.  Have you played around with different tubes?  I love the hybrid idea and, given this feature, it looks like good value.  Have edited my original list to include your suggestions.  Thanks kindly!

May 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

You are from Aussie land then try this website:
http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/

the blogger seems to know a lot about DAC because he has reviewed many units.

I use the Matrix Cube about $300 and it sounds very good for that price range, if you are after a better unit then the Yulong Sabre D18, it is based on the Sabre chipset. It costs about $650. It has excellent reviews, the down side is that it does not have a USB port.

May 6, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
This looks very interesting indeed.  Have you played around with different tubes?  I love the hybrid idea and, given this feature, it looks like good value.  Have edited my original list to include your suggestions.  Thanks kindly!

Apart from the stock tube I have tried some Mullards, but right now I go with RCA tubes.Though most prefer the DAC with tube removed,I think the tube option gives it a more analog and musical sound.

May 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your help everyone.  I have just pulled the trigger on a used StageDAC from an Australian seller.  Good timing and I am hoping it will match well with my Concerto amp.  May re-visit the EE Mini Max at a later stage when I have raked together a bit more dough. 

This is W0lfd0g, over and out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back