DAC recommendation PLEASE -- I'll be very specific
Feb 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking at a bunch of different source components in a bunch of different threads.  So far I have considered buying the Audio-gd nfb 12.1 (dac/amp) or the nfb 3.1 dac.  

However, I have heard that audio-gd is not the most "accurate" when it comes to source components.  Something about a non feedback design and "pleasant" distortion.  While I'm sure "distortion" can make music sound great i'd rather listen to what was recorded.

Essentially I want a dac that is neutral, revealing, detailed.  Even if this reveals a bunch of flaws in the music.  I need an analytical, no nonsense dac that may or may not be attached to a headphone amp.  And I'll be using usb input (no other options for my computer) so it needs to have a good usb connection.  

And it can't cost more than $300.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 19
Here are some nice USB options you can look into:

Centrance Dacport LX $300
http://www.headfonia.com/cheaper-better-the-centrance-dacport-lx/

HRT Music Streamer II+ $350
HRT Music Streamer II $150

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 19
Ditto on the HRT stuff.
I've got both, very good sound for their respective pricepoints.
The II+ has a wider soundstage and better specs, but for under $200, the cheaper one aint no slouch.
Bought mine used on ebay, $280 for the MSII+, $100 for the MSII.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 19
The II+ is more detailed and airier-sounding than the LX but it's also drier and slightly thinner. I wouldn't call the LX truly neutral though, it seems to have a slight warmth to the sound and thus sounds more forgiving than the II+ but my chief complain about the LX is it doesn't have RCA jacks. 

They are in the same performance level more or less. I guess if you use the rather bright D2000, the warmer LX would be a better match. 

I can't comment on the NFB 3.1 since I haven't heard them but a friend does own it and he did say that it's superior to both the CEntrance and HRT units but it's warmer-sounding than both. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 19
I am really interested in a dac with an dedicated power supply and not power through usb.  I appreciate all of the recommendations.  

The only things about the Music streamer, in fact everything from HRT, is that I don't really like the design.  It reminds me of electric guitar audio equipment.  Which isn't bad, it just isn't a look I like.

I think the Peachtree Dac-it looks awesome, as does the 3.1, nfb 12, etc.  Anyway I've decided I really like source components.  I have no desire to upgrade my headphones so source upgrades are all i'm eligible for

EDIT:  I just saw the CEntrax, also looks really cool

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 19

My favorite DAC is what I called the Asahi Texas, or the AK4396 finished DIY DAC, it's quite popular on diyaudio and it sounds excellent.

I use a Musiland Monitor 01 USD for the USB -> COAX connection in either Kernel Streaming or ASIO.

It has an external power supply and I've upgraded the OPAMP to OPA627 or AD8620 and often just listen directly from RCA into my IEM/HP for a pure signal and adjust the volume on my PC.

Musiland Monitor 01

Asahi Texas DAC AK4396 finished DIY

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:

My favorite DAC is what I called the Asahi Texas, or the AK4396 finished DIY DAC, it's quite popular on diyaudio and it sounds excellent.

I use a Musiland Monitor 01 USD for the USB -> COAX connection in either Kernel Streaming or ASIO.

It has an external power supply and I've upgraded the OPAMP to OPA627 or AD8620 and often just listen directly from RCA into my IEM/HP for a pure signal and adjust the volume on my PC.

Musiland Monitor 01

Asahi Texas DAC AK4396 finished DIY

Wow the ashahi looks excellent.  The only problem is  I only have a usb output with my computer, no coaxial or spdif

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Same here that's why I use the Musiland Monitor 01 USD with it.

Oh right, sorry for missing that in your other post . So how does it sound? Can you give a brief opinion/review?

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 19

Liquid, sharp, enveloping.

With the standard NE5532 a slightly congealed tone very good with violins, with OPA627 transparent (like the DAC isn't there), analog, a sense of shadows, with the AD8620 very high sound-quality, however a bit anorexic and glass-like.

This isn't 100% accurate since it's difficult to describe sources and I need to think about it, either way it's a pretty high resolution and satisfying device, none of the portable devices I've had quite compare, like the Teclast T51 or HM-601, for example.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #11 of 19
I'd go for the HRT models, the Dacport LX or perhaps even consider the Nuforce HD if you can stretch your budget slightly

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
The II+ is more detailed and airier-sounding than the LX but it's also drier and slightly thinner. I wouldn't call the LX truly neutral though, it seems to have a slight warmth to the sound and thus sounds more forgiving than the II+ but my chief complain about the LX is it doesn't have RCA jacks. 

They are in the same performance level more or less. I guess if you use the rather bright D2000, the warmer LX would be a better match. 

I can't comment on the NFB 3.1 since I haven't heard them but a friend does own it and he did say that it's superior to both the CEntrance and HRT units but it's warmer-sounding than both. 

may i know if you've heard either the Dacmini or Schiit Bifrost?? I would like to know would they fare against the Dacport LX..

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 19
HRT Music Streamer would be a good choice IMO

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
may i know if you've heard either the Dacmini or Schiit Bifrost?? I would like to know would they fare against the Dacport LX..

I haven't heard the Bifrost but the DACMini to me is in a different league than the 2 units there. However, the DACMini actually sounds a bit leaner and lost the warmth that the LX has although much better technically. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:

The Dacmini of course is a step above the DACport, its cleaner and more resolving(power supply difference). The LX however excels at being tiny, while the DACmini is more feature filled(especially the PX version which I did not try). The Schiit Bifrost, I have not heard so no comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back