DAC recommendation for analog guy...
Jun 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danska

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers,

I'm looking for a recommendation for my system as it is something I currently lack. The chain I have going now is from my HP (through Zu Audio 3.5-RCA)-Cursa3 Pre-Amp-Little dot MKIII or power amps. Obviously running out 3.5MM cable can only be as good as it can be. I've thought about getting a sound card that could do RCA outs, but I would also like RCA ins so I could record LPs on my computer. It just seems to make more sense to have a dedicated DAC anyways.

Ideally I'd like something to get my foot in the door that covers both USB and Optical inputs. My computer has an optical out port, but I'd like to stick to USB on that end so I could link up my Marantz CDP as well. Since I have a lower end Marantz, I have to believe a lot of dedicated DACs around $500 should kick the pants off of the internal chip. I do not need a headphone amp section, and I'm hoping to find a DAC without one for the sake of less money and parts dedicated to that side of things. I'm hoping to keep budget to a minimum as, I still do 75% listening on Vinyl and would rather spend money there in equal proportion. For the sake of argument lets keep it below $600 new (I'd like to get below $500 used optimally).

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I've got a DACmagic thats pretty good for the price. Its around $430. It has 2 input sections with each coax and optical and it has a seperate usb input. It has a selector on the front panel so you can leave everything hooked up. Though the earlier came with a bad wallmart PSU. Utter crap doesn not begin to cover it, heard new version are supplied these days though.
The V-dac is a bit cheaper price wise($300) and it also pretty good it seems. It does not come with input selector afaik

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 7
The Rega DAC has been touted as analogue sounding. For what it's worth - I A/B tested the Matrix Mini-I vs the Rega (both feeding the M-Stage with HD650s), and couldn't hear a single difference. At all. Making the Mini-I a complete bargain!

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 7
If I were you mate I'd try and avoid any DAC that promises to colour the sound.

The ideal DAC is a transparent DAC. You shouldn't know it is there at all. Your vinyl will still sound just as 'analogue'. It's better to add EQ or effects via independent components or software rather than via a DAC that colours all your sources in the same way and which you cannot change.

Fortunately for at least the last decade inexpensive and transparent, to the limit of human hearing,  DAC/ADC solutions have been readily available. Best value by far exists in the semi-pro audio market as opposed to the traditional hi-fi retailers.  Musicians and engineers demand clean, flat, reliable gear. Hi Fi enthusiasts have become fixated with the idea that each component of an audio chain should have it's own unique 'sound'. This idea is monstrously outdated and in any case totally inappropriate  with regard to DACs.

If you can readily discern a variation in sound quality between different DAC in a controlled listening test then at least one of them is broken, incorrectly set up or badly designed.

The RME  Fireface range http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_overview_firewire.php is pretty much industry standard and easily capable of professional results. Only the babyface is within your price range but the FirefaceUC would be ideal if you can afford a little more.

E-MU, Focusrite, ESI, Presonus and TC-Electronic all have excellent products well within your price range. Take a look at their web sites. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Jul 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
You need an R2R-DAC. Used Audio GD DAC-19DSP could do the trick.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by R2R? That is a nice looking unit, I'll be keeping my eyes open!

I've been moving over the last couple weeks so I haven't even looked back here until today. Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not sure what the benefits of some the differences in DACs are so I need to do some reading I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back