DAC recommendation...decision made: Oritek OMZ...OMG!
Apr 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Golden Monkey

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT: this topic was "DAC recommendation", but since the first post, I've acquired an Oritek OMZ...read from post 38 on for OMZ details and impressions...now, back to the original topic...

Hi guys, hoping you could help me decide here. I plan on pairing my HD650's with a Little Dot MkV amp, and am looking into various DAC options. My source will be a CD player for the most part, but I MAY use my PC as source in the future (so USB inputs would be nice, but not a requirement). My biggest concerns are quality of sound, quality of components and build. My budget would be up to say, $600.00. Music-wise, I listen to a lot of rock (classic and "modern"), Metal, live music, Electronic, and Industrial, so it's got to be a wide-ranging performer. I prefer a clean, dynamic, accurate sound with a huge soundstage and detail. Hearing the flaws in the source recording is OK by me...I want to hear everything there is to hear in a recording. My choices are narrowed down to these DACs:

DIYEDEN/Musiland Great March 2
Price: $399 (just dropped at Pacific Valve)
DAC chip: 2 X PCM1798
Pacific Valve & Electric Company Great March 2
"The Great March 2 is designed for maximum
transparency and is well suited for audiophile
quality high end playback systems. The
PCM1798 based Great March 2 Xilinx chip
re-clocks the signal and uses a unique
algorithm to preserve the original signal as
much as possible. This approach greatly
reduces jitter produced by either the transport
or the incoming cable. Next the signal is fed to
a TI SRC4190 sample rate converter to
up-sample the signal so the PCM1798 can
convert in a more linear fashion making digital
filtering "easy on the ears". This technology
makes the Great March 2 ideal for critical
applications where only the highest level of
performance will do."

Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
Price: $299 (Pacific Valve)
DAC chip: Cirrus Logic CS4398
Pacific Valve & Electric Company Musiland MD-10

Zhaolu 3.0
Price: $279
CryoParts Zhaolu
"The manufacturer is also supplying two upgrades free of charge: Key power supply and analog audio stage capacitors will be changed to ELNA BP cap's to inprove the overall quality of sound. Replace 2 OPA-604 in audio stage with LT-1028 to obtain higher frequency extension and allow greater dynamic contrasts."

Zhaolu 2.5c
Price: $229
Link = Same page as the one above.
"In addition on the "C" model, the vendor installs two upgrades,free of charge: The OPA-2604 in the high speed power supply is replaced with the AD-08, which offers a cleaner presentation. The 2 OPA-2604's are replaced with LT-1057's to obtain better high end extension and tighter, more tuneful bass. The original OPAMPS are included if you wish to switch them back."

Taking the individual prices out of the equation, and given that I'll be using digital coax as my connection (not XLR), I'm still leaning towards the Great March 2. Pacific Valve's page seems to indicate that they have upgraded parts of this DAC, but I'm having a hard time getting the info from them as to what specifically was done (email tag is NOT fun). Also, built-in headphone amps aren't necessary, since I'll be feeding one anyway. The only thing I may add to the equation would be an upsampler (Monarchy DIP or Musiland MD-10), but that's after I upgrade some cabling and stuff first.

Anyway, any thoughts/opinions on what would be best for me? Any alternatives out there in the same performance bracket? Thanks for your time, and reading my blather...

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 94
Really? NO advice from anyone? :smileysad:

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 94
I haven't heard those, but the Keces DA-151 or DA-131 if you need optical inputs. I'm nothing short of hugely impressed with how mine performs.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 94
I second the Keces DA-131. I haven't heard the DA-151. They are different designs. The DA-131 is designed to a higher spec, but the seller seems very enthusiastic about the DA-151's performance. This seems to be confirmed by many on this forum. I can only comment on the DA-131 and I am stunned by its performance. Really very recommended. If you decide to go the DA-131 route be sure to order LME49710 opamps with it.

Best regards,
Ruben

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 94
Thanks guys. The DA-131 would be more along the lines of what I'm looking for (151 is USB only). Definitely put that one in the mix. The 131 uses the CS8416 chip for 24 bit/192Khz resolution...anyone know how that chip compares to the CS4398 or PCM1798? I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is the best. From what I've read, the PCM1798 trumps the CS4398 across the board, but what about the CS8416?
confused.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 94
After a bit more research, I think I am leaning towards the DA-131. Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Has anyone compared the 131 to the Great March II?

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 94
Have you considered an OPUS DAC? Less then $600 with all modules and very beginner level to put together though it is DIY. Comparisons I have read with the metronome state that they believe it compares very favorably to the DAC1. I also recently purchased one, so eventually I'll be able to comment more.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 94
I haven't looked at the Opus, no...looks pretty cool, but I don't really want to build it myself, or go head-over-heels with modding in the future. I tend to be OCD when I get into things like that, and my wife would kill me as I'd constantly be talking about it...

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 94
The CS8416 is an SPDIF receiver chip, it's like a decoder which then sends digital signals to the DAC chip. So, it does not compare to DAC chips like PCM1798 and CS4398.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 94
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 94
Maybe you want to add to your list: Mhdt Laboratory Constantine + DAC. It has USB, RCA, and Toslink for inputs.
I narrow down about the same list you had with $300 budget in mind. I went with a used Constantine+ because it has multiple input. Never heard any other DAC, and not able to find comparision between these DAC to read.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. The DA-131 would be more along the lines of what I'm looking for (151 is USB only). Definitely put that one in the mix. The 131 uses the CS8416 chip for 24 bit/192Khz resolution...anyone know how that chip compares to the CS4398 or PCM1798? I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is the best. From what I've read, the PCM1798 trumps the CS4398 across the board, but what about the CS8416?
confused.gif

DA-131 uses CS8416 in combination of PCM1793, which is the actual DAC chip.

Most use CS8414 which restrict the max bit rate to 24bit/96KHz, but the newer 8416 is capable of 192KHz.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you want to add to your list: Mhdt Laboratory Constantine + DAC. It has USB, RCA, and Toslink for inputs.
I narrow down about the same list you had with $300 budget in mind. I went with a used Constantine+ because it has multiple input. Never heard any other DAC, and not able to find comparision between these DAC to read.

Keep in mind that the Constantine is OK using optical but has marginal performance with USB....

Never tried it with Coax, but coax is probably equal to the optical......

USG

d-_-b

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered an OPUS DAC? Less then $600 with all modules and very beginner level to put together though it is DIY. Comparisons I have read with the metronome state that they believe it compares very favorably to the DAC1. I also recently purchased one, so eventually I'll be able to comment more.

Did you really pay that much for it? I thought it was much cheaper. Which modules did you get?

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 94
I bought a upgraded Zhaolu 2.5A...should be here in a few days. Will let you know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back