DAC recomendations around $300 used?
Feb 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jingo Lingo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm on the hunt for a DAC to compliment my HD600's and my Woo3. I'd like something pretty neutral with nice slam to the bass and good detail. I'd also like something well made with decent build quality and craftsmanship. It will be fed from a cheapish LG DVD player. I don't want to spend much more than $300 US. Any suggestions would be great.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it, however I'm not too sure I'd want to buy a modified dac. Any more suggestions would be welcomed.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 13
I've been using a CAL Sigma II and am pleased with it. If you can find one, they go for about your price or a bit lower. If you can, look for this or better, an Alpha. They are a tube dac and are an older unit. Well worth the cost today. Built like a tank and use a 12ax7 that is warm and detailed.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A used OMZ ( Oritek Modded Zhaolu ) should be a good candidate.

I second that recommendation. The Zhalous modded with zap filters are great sounding units too.

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it, however I'm not too sure I'd want to buy a modified dac. Any more suggestions would be welcomed.

I've been looking to sell my Moodlab Dice. It has plenty of slam but it's not the last word in detail. I replaced it with the HR Micro DAC for better synergy with my 650s. But careful partnering with the right cans can work in your favor. I actually now own a pair of 600s. I did not have them when the Dice was in my chain. I'd go back and listen, but since I'm selling the DAC, I think my objectivity could be questioned. But the DAC has USB, optical and coaxial inputs and a very pleasing look. If you're not interested in the USB input, the Concept might be a better deal.

Reviews

2248238193_d531e87047_o.jpg

2248238325_0ed2124cc9_o.jpg

1394305208_85efa5c966_o.jpg

Good luck with your search!

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 13
Thats for the replies. I've had a look at the moodlab products but there just doesn't seem to be enough solid recommendations/reviews for it. I'll look into the CAL tube DAC, however, I dont know if it would sinergise very well with my HD600's considering I already have a tube amp.

Would it be perhaps better value to just get a CDP in my price range? For example the NAD C542? Intuitively I would think not as the cost of the transport has to be factored into the package... What do you guys think?

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 13
It sounds like you have become "stuck", you have been asking these same questions in several threads over several weeks.
At some point I think this happens to us all!

The only way to decide what is best is to listen for yourself and make your own judements, you wont always find the answers you need on forums.
If you can not demo then you will be relying on others opinions...

IMO you have an excellent amp and headphones - you need to do them justice.

If you are limited to AU$300 and dont want to buy anything modded, then the NAD will perform the best. That price is really good, its a nice warm sounding player. No standard DACs < $300 I have heard will better it. I would say the modded Lite DAC Ah (approx AU$350 comes close, and probably equals the NAD). I have heard a stock zhaolu (AU$300) a couple of times and it performs about the same - does some things better (detail), some things worse (bass).

A modded zhaolu (OMZ) takes everything to another level but is going to cost more - worth every cent! This is where I ended up after listening to various DACs / CD players in your price range.

Dont be scared of buying a modded DAC - many come with excellent service and support (COEM, Ori etc.)

Good luck with your decision.

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Thats for the replies. I've had a look at the moodlab products but there just doesn't seem to be enough solid recommendations/reviews for it. I'll look into the CAL tube DAC, however, I dont know if it would sinergise very well with my HD600's considering I already have a tube amp.

Would it be perhaps better value to just get a CDP in my price range? For example the NAD C542? Intuitively I would think not as the cost of the transport has to be factored into the package... What do you guys think?

Get the Cal Audio Sigma II tube DAC.

Its simply outstanding with the Senns (or Grados, or ATHs, etc.) and a good tube amp. You'll be amazed... literally!

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks sydneyaudio, I don't have the opportunity to listen to any gear before I buy it which is why I'm trying to get as informed as possible. I'm really happy with my purchases so far based on the advise here. I just don't want to go wrong with the source. Since you have experience with the modded Zhalou against other DAC's i'll definitely look into it.

Quote:

Get the Cal Audio Sigma II tube DAC.

Its simply outstanding with the Senns (or Grados, or ATHs, etc.) and a good tube amp. You'll be amazed... literally!

I've looked into getting one of these, however I haven't seen them come up for sale too often.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Thanks sydneyaudio, I don't have the opportunity to listen to any gear before I buy it which is why I'm trying to get as informed as possible. I'm really happy with my purchases so far based on the advise here. I just don't want to go wrong with the source. Since you have experience with the modded Zhalou against other DAC's i'll definitely look into it.

I've looked into getting one of these, however I haven't them come up for sale too often.

AudiogoN ForSale: Cal Audio Labs Sigma II Tube dac

Do you have someone stateside that can get it and ship?

As far as synergy, I have heard it with 580s/600 grills/650 cable thru a tube amp and it sounds very fast. No veil noticed. Just helping. Don't take it as a push as this isn't mine to sell.

Edit: sorry, sale pending since I put the link up. They do show up about once or twice a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back