DAC Questions
Dec 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bharat2580

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using my DX90 as a DAC while mobile or feeding it into the LD MK III. I like the sound and i am happy with it

I have no idea what a good desktop DAC would sound like, like the Bifrost or Mojo.

Does anyone have any impression to share on the DAC of the DX90 compared to desktop DACs.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Generally DACs are the last thing to upgrade in order to improve sound quality at least beyond eliminating unwanted noise and severe jitter.

One way to tell if a new DAC would help is to take a careful listen to your setup with no music playing and at zero, medium, and full volume. If you hear strange noises that change pitch then your DAC might be noisy or not reducing the noise enough to be of great quality. One definite drawback to a portable like the DX90 is it can be susceptible to EMI noise from other electronics like cell phones, wireless routers, etc. You will hear this noise as well during the aforementioned test.

What headphones are you using? That would be my suggestion as to where to start looking for improving / changing your sound. It also helps to start gathering high quality recordings which, when asked, many of us would be glad to make a brief list to get you started.

It is also important to talk more about the analog side of a DAC's implementation more than the DAC chip itself as this is where most of the change in sound comes from on a DAC besides reducing noise etc. Getting something well-designed power supply and purchasing from a company that knows the analog side of things really well helps too.

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 4
  Generally DACs are the last thing to upgrade in order to improve sound quality at least beyond eliminating unwanted noise and severe jitter.

One way to tell if a new DAC would help is to take a careful listen to your setup with no music playing and at zero, medium, and full volume. If you hear strange noises that change pitch then your DAC might be noisy or not reducing the noise enough to be of great quality. One definite drawback to a portable like the DX90 is it can be susceptible to EMI noise from other electronics like cell phones, wireless routers, etc. You will hear this noise as well during the aforementioned test.

What headphones are you using? That would be my suggestion as to where to start looking for improving / changing your sound. It also helps to start gathering high quality recordings which, when asked, many of us would be glad to make a brief list to get you started.

It is also important to talk more about the analog side of a DAC's implementation more than the DAC chip itself as this is where most of the change in sound comes from on a DAC besides reducing noise etc. Getting something well-designed power supply and purchasing from a company that knows the analog side of things really well helps too.

thats very well put up.

as per noise and jitter i think the sabre chip in the dx90 is pretty good.
i will use it with some 1964 ciem when they arrive and i am happy with this mobile setup

I use the HD650 at home with a little dot MK iii and the DX90 as source, my question is that if we just consider the source, if i use a schiit bifrost or a MOJO instead of the DX90 and feed the amp(any) and the HD650, how much of a difference would i notice if any with difference i mean the dynamics, layering , separation and soundstage as far as i know these should be proportional to the headphone and amp and not exactly the DAC. 

but i have no idea so i cant say.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Only your ears will be able to tell that and relying on our opinions really cannot tell the whole picture.I think Schiit has a return policy if you are not completely satisfied so you could test this yourself and write a little mini comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back