DAC questions
Mar 27, 2010 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

intricate28

Head-Fier
Ok guys,

Posted in a previous thread and didn't get really anywhere. I have money burning a hole in my pocket and literally will order something tonight if a convincing arguement can me made
tongue.gif
. I have locked in my setup for now and need to figure a couple things out about the DAC I'm going to be including.

I have unmodded HD650's, will be using itunes running FLAC, and a GLite as my amp.

The Glite is going to be basically neutral with the HD650's leaning on the warm side. I'm looking for a DAC that will complement this setup. I originally was leaning towards the DAC Magic but a lot of people said that they sound to "clinical" and that this system will end up being very "cold." I don't neccessarily want that as I like punchy bass, and rich mids (which the Senns do just fine).

A couple of qualifiers:

1. I listen to mostly classic rock (Pink Floyd), but mix in trance, techno, jazz, and even classical.
2. Budget up to $600
3. Toslink for PC hookup
4. I don't like the Audio-Gd stuff..........
5. I'm not a do it yourselfer

& a question

1. Can you use the equalizer in iTunes to chance the "tone" of the music before it reaches your DAC, or is it cut out because the DAC is processing the sound?

Any help you veteran guys can offer would be great! Thanks.

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by intricate28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok guys,

Posted in a previous thread and didn't get really anywhere. I have money burning a hole in my pocket and literally will order something tonight if a convincing arguement can me made
tongue.gif
. I have locked in my setup for now and need to figure a couple things out about the DAC I'm going to be including.

I have unmodded HD650's, will be using itunes running FLAC, and a GLite as my amp.

The Glite is going to be basically neutral with the HD650's leaning on the warm side. I'm looking for a DAC that will complement this setup. I originally was leaning towards the DAC Magic but a lot of people said that they sound to "clinical" and that this system will end up being very "cold." I don't neccessarily want that as I like punchy bass, and rich mids (which the Senns do just fine).

A couple of qualifiers:

1. I listen to mostly classic rock (Pink Floyd), but mix in trance, techno, jazz, and even classical.
2. Budget up to $600
3. Toslink for PC hookup
4. I don't like the Audio-Gd stuff..........
5. I'm not a do it yourselfer

& a question

1. Can you use the equalizer in iTunes to chance the "tone" of the music before it reaches your DAC, or is it cut out because the DAC is processing the sound?

Any help you veteran guys can offer would be great! Thanks.

Could you please explain the reason you don't enjoy audio gd products.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 9
First, to directly answer your question: in general you want to avoid using the iTunes EQ (or any software EQ for that matter). The general goal of using a player like that is to decode the FLAC file and send it on to the DAC for conversion without modifying it. This is referred to as "bit-perfect output". If you are planning on using a software EQ then it probably isn't worth spending a bunch of money on a good DAC because you are going to be feeding it a lower quality input.

Also, you weren't clear on whether you are using iTunes on a PC or a Mac. In order to play FLAC files with iTunes you're going to need a plugin of some sort. Also, on a Mac I know that iTunes output is bit-perfect. I'm not sure about on a PC.

Finally, to echo a previous post, why not an Audiogd product? I don't own one but they've gotten great reviews and seem to offer terrific value for the money.

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 9
I do not listen to a lot of Rock music. However I have found that Pink Floyd's music provides a good baseline for testing audio equipment. Over the past year I have been on a mission to find a DAC, visiting many local audio shops testing various equipment including dedicated DACs like the Bell Canto and Cambridge Audio DACMagic, Bryston BDA-1, Naim DAC & various higher end CD players from Marantz & NAD.

Upon reading many reviews I decided to purchase the Audio-gd DAC-19DSP, mainly because the DACs I mentioned above did not fit my budget.

I was very skeptical about how good the DAC-19 (entry level) would perform. Audio-gd told me that if I was not satisfied with the product I could return it no questions asked. I had nothing to lose.

I cannot provide you with an AB comparisn as I do not physically have the 4 DACs I mentioned earlier, I will tell you though, in my experience the Audio-gd equipment is very impressive!! with regards to your listening tastes...Pink Floyds music sounds incredible with the DAC-19...for the first time I have found myself actually listening to his music for pleasure instead of using it for testing. When considering a DAC, Audio-gd should be mentioned in the same sentence with the much more expensive Bell Canto, Bryston & Naim equipment.

So I am very curious, why do you specifically state that you do not like Audio-gd???

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Multiple reason, all being personal and have nothing to do with them having an issue with sound quality.

1. Limited Hookups (need multi toslinks if possible).
2. Aesthetically challenged (looks like it was built in the 1980's in someone's basement) This is important as I have my main rig in my office where I have customers all the time.
3. Have read reviews stating inconsistancies in build quality
4. Don't like ordering stuff from china and having the possibility of customer service issues
5. Hate ordering from a site where the webmaster can barley print in english

Again I'm trying not to knock the product, as I've heard they can be great. They are just not my cup of tea and I'm not interested in buying from them.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 9
1) Audio-gd will add more connections at your request
2) Aesthetically...the equipment looks very professional in person, fit and finish is great. Especially the new equipment, which has a totally new case design.
3) I read of one incident of build quality and a couple of incidents where items were lost in the mail with DHL (The ship with EMS primarly now). Did you also read that the few issues that have occured have ALL been replaced quickly by Audio-gd at no cost to the buyer, no hassles at all.
4) Kingwa responds to emails with lightening fast precision between 8am-9pm (UTC+8)
5) !?!?!?

You are definately entitled to your opinion. A lot of really sweet sounding DACs including the Lavry DA10 and Stello DA100 for instance look pretty pedestrain as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back