DAC Questions
Aug 6, 2001 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Phlosopher

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been surfing the net for information on DAC's. However, what I've found is that used units seem to be going for much less than new ones. For instance, on Ebay I found two Muse II (which could be a couple years old) for less than 500. Is this a good DAC, or would I be better off looking somewhere else? Has technology come far enough that a two year old unit no matter how good it was at the time is still outmatched by newer, more inexpensive units?

In what direction should I look for an inexpensive DAC that kicks ass?

Aug 6, 2001 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I believe the Muse II is supposed to still be very good, from the few reviews I have seen of it. Another option is, of course, a MSB Link DAC. And then there's one I'm getting REAL curious about, namely the Art DI/O DAC, which goes for around $200 new. Seen some very nice reviews of the DI/O, thinking about getting one for my HT system.

Aug 6, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Another option is, of course, a MSB Link DAC. And then there's one I'm getting REAL curious about, namely the Art DI/O DAC, which goes for around $200 new. Seen some very nice reviews of the DI/O, thinking about getting one for my HT system.

I cannot comment from personal experience on the ART DI/O (although I just ordered one). I will simply refer you to two discussions at audioasylum which include my posts:

on price and availability:

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/dig...ges/26966.html

on comparison to MSB Link DAC:

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/dig...ges/26960.html

Aug 6, 2001 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I'll throw out a suggestion: a used CAL Sigma II. This has a 12AX7 tube output stage. I'm very happy with this DAC (and the "right" 12AX7). On the used market, you should find it for $300 to $350 I'd think.

And, FWIW, Stereophile's Sam Tellig once wrote up a comparative review of it and the MSB Link DAC II in which he favored the CAL.

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back