DAC problem
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davemchine

New Head-Fier
I'm having a problem with the latest Matrix Mini DAC. The sound drops out for a split second periodically but not at regular intervals. It seems very random. I have two older Matrix Mini's that work flawlessly. Corresponding with the company they say, "The older Mini-i use AD1955 D/A chip, Mini-i Pro2s use ESS es9026pro D/A chip, it have different circuit structures, and Mini-i Pro2s requires higher output and input accuracy than the old mini-i."

My setup consists of an AppleTV->LG Oled TV->Matrix Mini->Accuphase amp and pre-amp->Magnepan speakers

So it seems the problem must be with the LG tv or the AppleTV. I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I simply sell the Matrix on eBay and call it a loss or is there something I could do to fix the situation?

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 7
The only thing I can think of is that If you're using spdif/optical connection you may be experiencing jitter. I would try to use coaxial or usb input to your matrix DAC and see if that resolves your issue.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Unfortunately my tv has neither coaxial or usb output so I cannot try that. I did order a HDMI to HDMI passthrough box that has an optical output though. That will allow me to eliminate the tv as a possible source of problems. Instead I will go straight from the AppleTV thru passthrough box to the DAC. I will have it by monday and will report back the results. Thanks for your help and any further thoughts.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Just as a further though, often when I experience these sorts of issues they are mechanical in nature. Have you checked all cables, connections etc for damage, dust etc? Saves you spending any more dosh if just a grubby connector!

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 7
I replaced the cable so it should be perfect. The DAC is brand new and I’ve tried two of them so that shouldn’t be an issue. The tv is less than a year old so I wouldn’t think the port would be dirty but the type of mount I used doesn’t allow me to pull out the tv for inspection.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 7
I replaced the cable so it should be perfect. The DAC is brand new and I’ve tried two of them so that shouldn’t be an issue. The tv is less than a year old so I wouldn’t think the port would be dirty but the type of mount I used doesn’t allow me to pull out the tv for inspection.
Fair play. Always worth checking the obvious stuff before throwing cash at a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back