DAC + Preamp for powered monitors?
May 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
Hello,
I am moving and I just temporarily switched from my firebox to ipod and reference to power my mackie monitors, to keep the jams going while packing
biggrin.gif
and I suddenly realized that I am really missing out on the sweetness of these speakers. the firebox is great, but it is quite sterile. All of a sudden the speakers are coming alive with a fullness i haven't heard in a long time. really great...

So I am interested in my options for a DAC with preamps for my mackie HR624 monitors. Balanced 1/4" outputs would be awsome, but not necessary.

I know a headphone amp could work as a DAC, and so the predator, pico, etc could work, but it seems like if i don't need portability, I could get something good for much cheaper. And if I don't need it for headphones, maybe there are other options? Ive also been eying the presonus central station, but it seems like it must be voiced similar to the firebox. I'd like a tube-like sound, or at least not sterile or clinical, cause the mackies lean in that direction already.

I'll be powering it with the coax output on my mac powerbook

oh, and under 300 dollars please...

thanks!

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calihan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You love 0404 usb ^^

It's not the greatest thing ever for any specific purpose, but it sure does a lot of things well, especially for the price.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 15
I read at least a few people say that the 0404 is bright, which is really not what the mackies need. they've got plenty of detail, they need liquidity

i'll check out the fubar

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 15
I'd like to bump this thread because my firebox just broke, and so I'm just powering my monitors with my ipod right now. Doesn't sound that bad, but not that good either.

Can anyone chime in on the Presonus Central Station? Does it have a clinical sound? I've heard that the headphone amps are very nice and natural sounding, so maybe the DAC is too.

Other options might be

Zero Dac
Aqvox DAC

or some new tube DAC/preamp?

thanks everyone...

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 15
I have been using a Zhaolu D2.5 between my computer and powered speakers, works like a charm. I dont have anything to compare it to, but im guessing it competes with the zero, but with more inputs and outputs.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 15
hmmm....

anyone know how the zhaolu would compare to the zero and presonus central station for powered monitors?

The CS is balanced. But that doesn't mean it sounds better.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 15
Can you compare the specifications of both. It should give you atleast a idea of which would sound better without actually testing them both. Numbers don't always translate to sound quality but they can impart which has better dynamic range and better SNR etc...
you can use specifications as a guide..

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you compare the specifications of both. It should give you atleast a idea of which would sound better without actually testing them both. Numbers don't always translate to sound quality but they can impart which has better dynamic range and better SNR etc...
you can use specifications as a guide..

i don't know, I think they are both good enough that it would come down to which one had a better signature, or which was voiced better. Plus, Ive never compared equip by numbers, so I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 15
Yes as I said the numbers just give you a idea of what the gear is capable of but if you can't inperpret what you are looking at they are useless.
Maybe you can find a shop that has both units so you can compare them side by side... Good luck on your hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back