DAC-PREAMP for Dynaudio MC15 (Mac Mini)
Apr 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Exorcist

New Head-Fier
would need some advice here, thanks!

i'm intending to set up the following system: Mac Mini ----> DAC-with-PREAMP ----> Dynaudio MC15 Desktop Active Speakers would need some advice on DAC-with-PREAMP. budget is about USD1000+.

issue here is i don't find any DAC-with-PREAMP units. it's always DAC-with-PREAMP-with-HEADPHONEAMPLIFIER. i have no use for the headphone amplifier at all. when i'm on the move, i'm always listening to earphones. so i'm not keen on strapping headphones onto my head when i get home.

so far, only unit i saw which fits my requirement is Red Wine Audio's Isabellina. and boy, it's really expensive. so, it looks like i have no choice but to pick a DAC-with-PREAMP-with-HEADPHONEAMPLIFIER.

PREAMP (volume control) is an important function to me because i'm afraid that i may accidentally swipe up the software volume control tab (if i get a DAC only, with NO PREAMP) and end up exploding the tweeters on the MC15.

most dedicated PREAMPs are catered for HiFi and comes with multiple inputs. i only have use for one input. not to forget, the size of HiFi preamps will clutter my table. so it's back to DAC-with-PREAMP-with-HEADPHONEAMPLIFIER.

i will burn my CDs onto Mac Mini into WAV/AIFF. i will be listening to internet radio and watching of youtube videos.

thinking of getting a Lavry DA11. heard it's slightly more musical and warm than Benchmark Dac1.

Dynaudio MC15 should be rather neutral with dynamics. so, i'm looking at a DAC-with-PREAMP-with-HEADPHONEAMPLIFIER which is more musical, more warm sounding.

i have read about the transparency of DA11 as well. afraid it may reveal the impurities of internet radio and less-than-ideal ripped tracks. my greatest fear of impurities is in the form of brightness/harshness. i can barely stand brightness/harshness.

i will listen mostly at low volumes. perpendicular distance between speakers and me is 50cm. i can't turn up loud unless i am looking forward to being deaf. on the few occasions, i will turn it up to feel the kick of music in my face!

what i will appreciate is great amount of details, tight bass, not harsh/bright in any manner, non-muddy sound at low volumes. i assume musicality doesn't really matter when it's at low volumes. it's in my impression that musicality can be felt easier at louder volumes.

will the DA11 be good for me? or are there any other options to look out for? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back