DAC/Pre-amp? and record player help.
Apr 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

GutterSmurf

New Head-Fier
Evening all!

I'm quite new to the hobby and I'm looking for a device that would allow me to connect both my computer and a record player to a Little Dot MK III (already ordered - so excited), somewhere up to £150 if it's a viable choice, though I could wait and go higher if needed.

My current kit

PC
Creative X-fi Fatality Pro (happy with this for gaming but leaves a lot to be desired everywhere else)
Fiio E7
Little Dot MK III
Marley Exodus's
Sennheiser HD 555's
Grado SR-80's

I've been looking at these, but I've not been able to find much on either if they'd work how I want or how they actually sound (un-bias reviews). I assume I could use them to switch between inputs with phono out to the little dot? 

Aune Mini DAC MK2 SE

Aune X1 DAC

Maverick D1

Topping D2

Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (maverick D1 clone?)

However I'm also considering grabbing a dedicated DAC and buying a USB record player and connecting it through my computer, though I don't know if it's a good idea. I'm thoroughly confused as to which route to take. Any advice on a decent player would be welcome too!

If it helps I was considering the Project Debute III record player, and the little dot DAC_1 or HRT music streammer II+.

Thanks in advance all! 

Tom
GS

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 2

Quote:

However I'm also considering grabbing a dedicated DAC and buying a USB record player and connecting it through my computer, though I don't know if it's a good idea. I'm thoroughly confused as to which route to take. Any advice on a decent player would be welcome too!

I have an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable which has selectable line-level output built in, which has made it handy for me to hook up to my stereo equipment (none of which has a phono input).  The new version AT-LP120 has built-in USB in addition to the line-level output and seems to get good reviews, though I haven't tried it myself.  Wish it was available when I purchased mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back