DAC power supply upgrade, or digital mod on SB3?
Apr 7, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

melomaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
I am pretty happy with a Squeezebox run into a DAC. however:

for $250, would you get a beefier power supply for the DAC, or the Bolder Co digital mod on the SB3? both are the same amount of money, but which would improve the sound more? opinions?

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 5
The Bolder Co mods are pretty well regarded and certainly who I would personally use if I was modding the SB3. Not much is known about the digital mods because they are not in high demand. I can't imagine a mod that is less impactful on the SQ. This is the very meaning of incramental quality gains. If you are using CIA or Bel Canto DACs you might be able to squeeze out some performace gains. My money would be on the PS upgrade. Have you contacted Bolder Co? What do they say? Make sure you ask specific questions.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 5
I've tried the digital mod and it made a difference, but the difference was slight. It was a Enthusiast modded unit w/Gold Bybee into a modded MHDT Paradisea. IMO not worth it for the money. Maybe the difference is more noticeable with a nicer DAC but I wouldn't think it would be worth it until you were in the ~ $2k DAC range. Getting a Bolder Elpac made a bigger difference, and you can get one of those used for around $85.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 5
gaara, thanks - I agree, I just got a bolder elpac (though the smaller one) and it certainly is noticeable. so at this point, to get it to be even closer to where I want it to be, I guess I face the choice between the psu for the dac, or changing something in the sb3. oh, and I guess I could try another digital cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back