DAC Pairing with Woo Audio WA22
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

TheAudioDude

500+ Head-Fier
So I am still at the crossroads, deciding which amp to go with my Denon AH-D7000s. It's basically now a toss-up between the Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp OR the Woo Audio WA22.

Here's my dilemma: do I go with the Headroom amp/DAC for ~1700 or do I splurge and get the WA22 for $1900?

If I get the WA22, I'll need to buy a separate DAC. Which DAC? No clue yet. I've been reading up on some and the Stello DA100 Signature (balanced outputs) definitely seems like a clear winner so far. BUT do I really WANT to spend ~3k?

To be honest, I think my best option is to go for the Headroom UDA and look forward to that day I can spend the money on something like the WA22 and a high-end DAC.

But then I also say, well if I'm almost willing to spend ~$3k, why not just go with the Headroom BUDA + Ultra DAC??

I know that whichever option I choose, I will be extremely pleased. Both options are completely different but I'd still like to hear opinions on people who (hopefully) have used both amps and (hopefully) with the D7000s or similar headphone. I'm looking for the best match to my headphones, in terms of synergy and ability to drive them well.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am still at the crossroads, deciding which amp to go with my Denon AH-D7000s. It's basically now a toss-up between the Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp OR the Woo Audio WA22.

Here's my dilemma: do I go with the Headroom amp/DAC for ~1700 or do I splurge and get the WA22 for $1900?

If I get the WA22, I'll need to buy a separate DAC. Which DAC? No clue yet. I've been reading up on some and the Stello DA100 Signature (balanced outputs) definitely seems like a clear winner so far. BUT do I really WANT to spend ~3k?

To be honest, I think my best option is to go for the Headroom UDA and look forward to that day I can spend the money on something like the WA22 and a high-end DAC.

But then I also say, well if I'm almost willing to spend ~$3k, why not just go with the Headroom BUDA + Ultra DAC??

I know that whichever option I choose, I will be extremely pleased. Both options are completely different but I'd still like to hear opinions on people who (hopefully) have used both amps and (hopefully) with the D7000s or similar headphone. I'm looking for the best match to my headphones, in terms of synergy and ability to drive them well.

The WA22 prototype paired pretty well with my PS Audio Digital Link III, and Blutarsky and I had previously compared his Stello DA1000 Signature side by side with the PS Audio DAC and their sound was remarkably similar (as was his normal DA100 as well). The PS Audio is now only $695 or so, and it can be modded by cullencircuits.com without voiding the warranty. This sounded better with my LA7000 than with my woodied recabled D2000, so you should be safe there.

Here is a mini-review I did of that setup: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...ml#post5965048

I can't help with the Headroom BUDA + Ultra DAC because I only heard it for 2 minutes at CanJam with HD800, but it was very good as well. I've not heard the Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp, but the Balanced Desktop sounded great at our 7/25/09 meet paired with a Cullen modded PS Audio DLIII. I tried the HD600 and LA7000 with it and liked it a lot.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 25
The Bel Canto DAC3 does look very nice but the price is a bit steep for me. I really do want to go balanced if I can so the WA6SE is crossed off of my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WA22 prototype paired pretty well with my PS Audio Digital Link III, and Blutarsky and I had previously compared his Stello DA1000 Signature side by side with the PS Audio DAC and their sound was remarkably similar (as was his normal DA100 as well). The PS Audio is now only $695 or so, and it can be modded by cullencircuits.com without voiding the warranty. This sounded better with my LA7000 than with my woodied recabled D2000, so you should be safe there.

Here is a mini-review I did of that setup: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...ml#post5965048

I can't help with the Headroom BUDA + Ultra DAC because I only heard it for 2 minutes at CanJam with HD800, but it was very good as well. I've not heard the Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp, but the Balanced Desktop sounded great at our 7/25/09 meet paired with a Cullen modded PS Audio DLIII. I tried the HD600 and LA7000 with it and liked it a lot.

I'll definitely look into the PS Audio DL3. Tell me though, should I have any concerns if I want to use this setup with movies? There definitely are some parts of movies where good power is needed, so would you think that solid-state is a better choice if I plan to watch a lot of movies in addition to music?

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

I'll definitely look into the PS Audio DL3. Tell me though, should I have any concerns if I want to use this setup with movies? There definitely are some parts of movies where good power is needed, so would you think that solid-state is a better choice if I plan to watch a lot of movies in addition to music?

The WA22 is very powerful, I don't see why it couldn't be used for any music or movies. It probably has 4-5x more power than my WA6, and I never thought that was underpowered with anything except for the K1000.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 25
Well thanks for telling me about the PS Audio DLIII! Now I have a tougher decision to make!

Do you have any experience with the Cullen Stage 3 modified DLIII? Any clue as to how much of a difference this is over the Stello DA100 Signature? I can buy a Cullen Stage 3 modded DLIII for $1190, or a Stello DA100 Signature for around $900. Are the differences very subtle or would the extra money go a long way?

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Well thanks for telling me about the PS Audio DLIII! Now I have a tougher decision to make!

Do you have any experience with the Cullen Stage 3 modified DLIII? Any clue as to how much of a difference this is over the Stello DA100 Signature? I can buy a Cullen Stage 3 modded DLIII for $1190, or a Stello DA100 Signature for around $900. Are the differences very subtle or would the extra money go a long way?

Considering there is little difference between the stock PS Audio (set for 96Khz up-sampling) and Stello DA100 signature (with up-sampling on), and people say the Cullen mods sound better than stock, I think it's a reasonable guess that the Cullen modded PS Audio would also be better than the Stello.

I heard the Cullen modded PSA at the Colorado meet 7/25/09 and it sounded great, but we never compared it side by side with my stock one which was in a totally different rig.

I mentioned the 96Khz up-sampling because the PS Audio does become a little more spacious with more treble in 192Khz mode, so I selected the PSA over the Stello DA100 Signature because it had better synergy with my Woo GES and O2 Mk1 in 192Khz mode.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Considering there is little difference between the stock PS Audio (set for 96Khz up-sampling) and Stello DA100 signature (with up-sampling on), and people say the Cullen mods sound better than stock, I think it's a reasonable guess that the Cullen modded PS Audio would also be better than the Stello.

I heard the Cullen modded PSA at the Colorado meet 7/25/09 and it sounded great, but we never compared it side by side with my stock one which was in a totally different rig.

I mentioned the 96Khz up-sampling because the PS Audio does become a little more spacious with more treble in 192Khz mode, so I selected the PSA over the Stello DA100 Signature because it had better synergy with my Woo GES and O2 Mk1 in 192Khz mode.

I was just reading through the DAIII thread, and lots of outside reviews, and everyone says that the 192kHz mode really does add more treble and brings out the details just a bit more.

I think I've made up my mind (almost)... just as long as no one mentions any other DACs! I may get the DAIII with the Cullen Stage 4 mods; an extra $100 really isn't all that much considering how much I'm spending on this audio setup. I might as well just go all out.

The DAIII with the WA22... I can only imagine what it will sound like
beerchug.gif
I'm already grinning at the thought of listening to The Wall LP.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

I was just reading through the DAIII thread, and lots of outside reviews, and everyone says that the 192kHz mode really does add more treble and brings out the details just a bit more.

I think I've made up my mind (almost)... just as long as no one mentions any other DACs! I may get the DAIII with the Cullen Stage 4 mods; an extra $100 really isn't all that much considering how much I'm spending on this audio setup. I might as well just go all out.

The DAIII with the WA22... I can only imagine what it will sound like
beerchug.gif
I'm already grinning at the thought of listening to The Wall LP.

Or, you can get the Cullen modded DLIII, and I'll give you my stock one and $500 for yours...

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Or, you can get the Cullen modded DLIII, and I'll give you my stock one and $500 for yours...

Hahaha in your dreams! What am I going to do; stuff the $500 into the chassis and pretend it sounds better?
tongue.gif

Whoops, I seem to have gotten my names mixed up. I mean the DLIII in the above posts... not the DAIII..

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 25
How about WA22 + Oritek OMZ DAC?

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about WA22 + Oritek OMZ DAC?

Hmm well it looks like a good DAC but it doesn't have balanced outputs. I want a completely balanced system, but thanks for the suggestion!

I also just saw that there are no DLIIIs in the FS/FT forum... that's gotta be a good thing. No one wants to sell theirs.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 25
Are you driving your WA22 with balanced interconnects? I have the same DAC as you and am wondering how you think the combination DLIII & WA22 perform together?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back