DAC output settings for MacOS?
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lvivske

500+ Head-Fier
My DAC is capable of 32/192khz and Apple Music can theorhetically output some files at 24/192, but most are of course 16/44 or other variations like 24/48

In MIDI settings, do I just set the highest rate possible and forget about it, or is do I pick a general limit like 24/41 to avoid upsampling? (if that even matters) Or is there some other setting altogether I'm neglecting

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 8
IMHO the data path between your media player and the DAC is not about dynamic range (16 bit =96 dB or 24=144 dB) but about arithmetic precision, so use the max allowed by the interface.

Sample rate is more complex. The up-sampling done by MacOS is pretty good.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/11/measurements-apple-mac-os-x-yosemite.html

Automatic sample rate switching would be best but is not provided by Apple Music
I would settle for 96 kHz but don't ask me why :)

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 8
I wanna ask you why, but thank you lol

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 8
You should generally set it to the same sample rate as the music that you're playing. Depending on your player, if you give 'exclusive control' to the DAC it'll generally set the output sample rate automatically.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 8
You should generally set it to the same sample rate as the music that you're playing. Depending on your player, if you give 'exclusive control' to the DAC it'll generally set the output sample rate automatically.
wish that were the case but with apple music / itunes i'm at the mercy of lumping all audio together unless i manually switch per track, and i just cant keep up if its a 44 or 48 or some random 192 pops up

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Just set it at 24 192 and be done as there is not much music any higher and probably not going to hear much of a difference anyway as a lot of the 24 bit stuff is remastered and juiced up so without volume matching don’t really hear a big difference from Red Book CD’s. Just not something to worry about really just enjoy the music.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 8
As with the some of the replies above, unless you are at the point where you've spent thousands of pounds on audio gear and are filling in the last few pieces, resampling will likely be inaudible.

For bit-perfect playback on Mac OS with Apple Music, the easiest way is to set Music quality at Lossless in the app, then lock Mac OS to 16/44. If you like the idea of hi-res, have bought a fancy DAC with changing lights and want to see them change (like me) buy an iOS device and use that. iOS is the only mainstream OS (as far as I can tell) that will switch bit-depth and resolution on the fly through USB by default.

I have USBAPP for Android and it is quite finicky. I also don't use Tidal anymore and want to reduce the amount of payable subscription sign-ins through third-party software in any case.

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Max out all the time, and don’t worry, be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back