DAC or Sound Card for Computer Speakers?
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

akshayshah12

New Head-Fier
Before posting a question here, i did manage to search few threads but none could address particular question that i have.It's a 2 part question.

1. I already have JDS Labs ODAC that i use for my headphones.
2. Recently purchased Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers and was wondering i need to buy a sound card to couple with my speakers. The onboard audio is average so ODAC is mandatory for headphones, but will it be ideal to use with Speakers too?

I had asus xonar essence STX in mind to purchase, is it going to add any value over ODAC? I know Essence STX has powerful built in Amp but I have JDS labs Objective 2 as well. The only downside of Objective 2 is its requirement to be recharged. So need to hear from here whether my existing setup will benefit with a PC sound card or should i just hook up my speakers to ODAC or ODAC + O2? If you think i should get a sound card, please recommend one also. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 3
The speakers are powered (internal amplification). So, the best thing I would think is to drive the speakers directly from the ODAC. I have some older Logitech speakers and they are working great right out of the Schiit BiFrost.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 3
  Before posting a question here, i did manage to search few threads but none could address particular question that i have.It's a 2 part question.

1. I already have JDS Labs ODAC that i use for my headphones.
2. Recently purchased Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers and was wondering i need to buy a sound card to couple with my speakers. The on-board audio is average so ODAC is mandatory for headphones, but will it be ideal to use with Speakers too?

I had Asus Xonar essence STX in mind to purchase, is it going to add any value over ODAC? I know Essence STX has powerful built in Amp but I have JDS labs Objective 2 as well. The only downside of Objective 2 is its requirement to be recharged. So need to hear from here whether my existing setup will benefit with a PC sound card or should i just hook up my speakers to ODAC or ODAC + O2? If you think i should get a sound card, please recommend one also. 

You might try using a splitter on the ODAC, so both the head amp and speakers are using the ODAC, at the same time.
Or replace the O2 with a headphone amplifier that comes with a separate line-output, like a Bravo Ocean or Magni 2 Uber.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162165711740?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like sound cards (had used a Essence STX for years), but I do not think you have a good enough reason(s) for switching from the ODAC to an internal sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back