DAC or DAP
Aug 7, 2015 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mickey matharu

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am Mickey from India new to this forum ive been reading for a while but this is my first post. I wanted to have your recommendations on weather to buy a

1) FIIO E18 with a one plus one phone
or get a
2) separate FIIO X3 2nd gen DAP.
             I'm confused. I usually listen to Jazz music with an occasional classics n some bhangra etc most of my playlist has a lot of orchestration so I am looking for a better soundstage and bass that is punchy enough though not dominating all over I want balanced sound. I use Bose SIE2's as regular use ear buds and Shure se215 for longer listening sessions.
If you may suggest any other set up in the similar price range would also work.

Thanks in advance.

Mickey

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 25
Pick according to which function you need... if you don't already have a dap, then the X3 is the obvious choice. Actually, I believe the X3 can also act as a dac, so you might as well go with that.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 25
What is your source?

The e18 is likely going to sound better in most cases.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 25

1) FIIO E18 with a one plus one phone
or get a
2) separate FIIO X3 2nd gen DAP.    

That will depend on your needs. Are you more likely to listen on the go? If yes, then would you rather not hear calls (and potentially piss off everyone around you that do) or would you rather lug around a brick composed of a phone hooked up to a small DAC+HPamp that can also charge it? 

If not and you're more likely to listen when you're sitting down in a more settled environment (your desk for example) then hooking up the phone to another device isn't as much of a problem. 

And then there's sound shaping. NeutronMP on Android (btw, it's also on iOS, but only recently) has more DSP options and a very flexible parametric EQ that no DAP can match (until the X7 comes out and if its Android firmware can have other player apps installed). 

On the other hand, if your only option is the One Plus One, does it even have a memory card slot? 

I'm confused. I usually listen to Jazz music with an occasional classics n some bhangra etc most of my playlist has a lot of orchestration so I am looking for a better soundstage and bass that is punchy enough though not dominating all over I want balanced sound. I use Bose SIE2's as regular use ear buds and Shure se215 for longer listening sessions.
If you may suggest any other set up in the similar price range would also work.

If you won't be using anything but IEMs then the X1 is half the price of the X3, basically saving you the additional cost of a 64gb microSD card. Check in the X1 thread though, it might be compatible with 128gb.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 25
My source will be the one plus one in case of the e18 and M also a little curious if I can use one plus one with x3 using its capability of a dac..
Thanks again for all your suggestions[@][@]ProtegeManiac[/@][/@]

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 25
My source will be the one plus one in case of the e18 and M also a little curious if I can use one plus one with x3 using its capability of a dac..

Not sure about the 2nd gen, but the first generation X3 required driver installation to work as a DAC with a computer, and so would not function with USB audio with a cell phone. You can ask here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 25
My source will be the one plus one in case of the e18 and M also a little curious if I can use one plus one with x3 using its capability of a dac.

I haven't actually heard of the X3 working with a smartphone/tablet (aside from those that use Win8). At the same time, what for? The reason why they didn't work that feature in (ie driverless operation, as mentioned by cel4145) is because it already comes with an SDCard slot - get a 128gb and you can cram enough music in there to run for several days. You'd charge the X3 several times before you run out of music to listen to.

The One Plus One AFAIK doesn't have a memory card slot but it can use Spotify. At the same time the E18 doubles as a powerbank.

Still, both IEMs you posted you have can get to ear damaging levels even before they hit a lot of distortion on the smartphone - neither the DAC-HPamp nor the DAP will offer a lot of benefits to that aside from one doubling as a powerbank while the other will have a lot of local storage and will save your phone's battery from use while playing music. That basically comes down to whether you prefer:

1. Sometimes carrying one thick brick that can charge your phone, while being able to have incoming calls automatically interrupt your music
2. Carrying two devices, each with its own use and battery, but not hearing incoming calls depending on whether you can feel the vibrate function.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 25
I have just one last question.. Knowing my source for the dac can you let me know which one is better sounding? if im into music with a lot of separated orchestration and details and nuances is something that I love.

Barring a really badly designed gear, a comparison between a smartphone by itself, a smartphone with the E18, and the X3 won't have a lot of difference. I'd have to guess the X3 will be the best followed very closely by the E18 (if you can even hear a difference there), and then the smartphone by itself won't be far behind. Even then that assumes you're using exactly the same file type, and as it is, FLAC would only make sense on the X3 given the lack of microSD storage on the One Plus One.

If you're using Spotify or any other streaming service, you'd be better off saving the $200 now and put it towards a $300 to $500 IEM later on. Heck, you can get a decent 3-driver CIEM for $399.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 25
Well right now im using a Sony Xperia sp im changing to one plus one mostly due to the problems this phone has with battery and lagging.. And I mean to get a decent audio setup this time... As my Sp does not support a few heavier versions of flacs and id like to explore my choices too

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 25
GSMarena says that the One Plus One does great with an external amp, but is of only average sound quality when headphones are plugged in directly:
http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-review-1101p7.php

So perhaps a Fiio E11K paired with it?

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
GSMarena says that the One Plus One does great with an external amp, but is of only average sound quality when headphones are plugged in directly:
http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-review-1101p7.php

So perhaps a Fiio E11K paired with it?

If he's gonna lug around a brick, a DAC-HPamp that doubles as a powerbank would be a more sensible option if money isn't a problem anyway.

Well right now im using a Sony Xperia sp im changing to one plus one mostly due to the problems this phone has with battery and lagging.. And I mean to get a decent audio setup this time... As my Sp does not support a few heavier versions of flacs and id like to explore my choices too

That said...why is the One Plus One your only option? I just assumed you already had it. If you don't then can't you look into getting a phone with a microSD card slot, if not also swappable batteries? I'm still using my SGS3. As a player it has some distortion on bass-boosted earphones and the volume adjustment steps are problematic for new albums, but NeutronMusicPlayer app fixed that easily - the first with EQ and the second with ReplayGain. Original battery it came with is dead but I have a couple of new batteries that came with an external charger (like the one for my camera), so I just swap the battery and charge the drained one outside of the phone.

What other Androids are available from your carrier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back