DAC or better IEM's?
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jeti66

New Head-Fier
Currently I am using my Alpha Delta AD01 with a Google Pixel powering them and wondering if purchasing a portable DAC, something below $200 would make a noticeable improvement or would the money be better spent on purchasing an higher end IEM? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't see paying $200 to make a $90 iem sound better makes too much sense . I have no idea about how the Pixel sounds so can't say for sure. Usually the rule of thumb is headphone,amp and then dac for monetary allocation. That is not always true as some can scale get better with better gear. I have not heard your iem's so can't say. $200 is not usually going to make big a difference in a amp/dac than what you have but could be better. I think it could be incremental difference so I would go for better earphones myself unless you love the Alpha Deltas.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't see paying $200 to make a $90 iem sound better makes too much sense . I have no idea about how the Pixel sounds so can't say for sure. Usually the rule of thumb is headphone,amp and then dac for monetary allocation. That is not always true as some can scale get better with better gear. I have not heard your iem's so can't say. $200 is not usually going to make big a difference in a amp/dac than what you have but could be better. I think it could be incremental difference so I would go for better earphones myself unless you love the Alpha Deltas.

+1

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 6
You might consider trying a Lexican Alpha. It was actually my first DAC, and at its price point it delivers reasonable sound quality and functionality, including 24 bit, 96kbps
file capability.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 6

I agree with this too. An upgrade for a DACs doesn't have as good of a price to performance ratio compared to upgrading a headphone/IEM. So long as your phone's DAC/Amp doesn't distort, I think you're much better off getting a better IEM.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Also, the AD01 is only 9 Ohms and quite high sensitivity, so getting a high powered DAC/Amp is overkill and runs the risk of adding hiss with no appreciable sound quality benefits. Enjoy them from your current source, and add a pair of something else that is an upgrade to whatever level or sound signature that you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back