DAC OR AMP FIRST
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

flymanfly46

New Head-Fier
Hi.... I just bought meze 99 classic....... i am thinking to grab ifi zen can or ifi zen dac first.... since in my country the exchange rate to usd is so expensive so i have to get either one first..... which one will make the headphone sound better? and i have read somewhere that i dont need an amp to drive meze 99 classic.... so can anyone help me please

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 12
IMHO, I would upgrade the audio chain in the following priority for bigger changes in sound. YMMV.

1) First priority - transducer (IEM/headphone)
2) Eartips/earpads
3) Amp
4) Source file - eg FLAC/WAV versus MP3 128 for example
5) DAC
6) Very lastly, cables, interconnects etc

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 12
While you probably hear a variety of opinions on this matter, the 99s are not very hard to drive and don't require a significant amount of power. For future upgrades, I would consider the Topping DX3+. Amp/dac combo that will drive most headphones. The main limitation of the unit is it is limited to a 3.5 connection.

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 12
What are you using to listen to music right now?

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 12
InvisibleInk, are you asking me? If so, topping dx5 (dac only) to topping a30 pro (amp). For portable use, questyle m15, luxury and precision w4, cayin ru7, lotoo paw s2.

IEMs/Headphones: Audeze LCD2C, focal clear, focal radiance, hifiman ananda, dunu sa6km2, moondrop variations, moondrop blessing 3, moondrop kato, kiwi ears quintet, quartet, orchesta, aful performer 8...... Probably forgetting something.

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 12
While you probably hear a variety of opinions on this matter, the 99s are not very hard to drive and don't require a significant amount of power. For future upgrades, I would consider the Topping DX3+. Amp/dac combo that will drive most headphones. The main limitation of the unit is it is limited to a 3.5 connection.
thanks.... i gave the meze 99 classic as present to my cousin....now im thinking to buy one for me but i am really torn between Sony 1am2, audeze maxwell, audeze mm100, sony mv1,and another pair of meze 99 ..... i listen to edm and song like the titanic....and i hoping for warm sounding headphone......so in my humble self which one should i go for master?

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 12
It depends on your price range. For what you are suggesting, I will assume you can afford a decent product. Hifiman, which you didn't mention, offers the best bang for your buck. However, they have had some issues with quality control. I don't have much knowledge of Sony products so I wont comment. Audeze is excellent. Built like tanks. MM-100 is their new budget model, right? I've looked into it. Good luck finding it available anytime soon. Hifiman Sundara, Maxwell (for all around use), or save up and upgrade to the Meze 109 Pro. Also, I don't really care for IFI products. Lastly, if you enjoy EDM, check out the Focal Elegia. $400 dollar closed back from a reputable brand (other than the headbands). Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 12
It depends on your price range. For what you are suggesting, I will assume you can afford a decent product. Hifiman, which you didn't mention, offers the best bang for your buck. However, they have had some issues with quality control. I don't have much knowledge of Sony products so I wont comment. Audeze is excellent. Built like tanks. MM-100 is their new budget model, right? I've looked into it. Good luck finding it available anytime soon. Hifiman Sundara, Maxwell (for all around use), or save up and upgrade to the Meze 109 Pro. Also, I don't really care for IFI products. Lastly, if you enjoy EDM, check out the Focal Elegia. $400 dollar closed back from a reputable brand (other than the headbands). Hope this helps.
i look into focal elegia and somehow somewhere in my country the price is 1000 usd What.... and when i look onto amazon the price is only 399

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 12
i look into focal elegia and somehow somewhere in my country the price is 1000 usd What.... and when i look onto amazon the price is only 399
I've heard about this issue with different regions. I am in the US. EU countries, Australia (EU also?), and some eastern countries deal with significantly increased prices. This may be a controversial opinion, but I think the Elegias are the best bang for your buck as a closed back headphone. They initially retailed for around a thousand. Now they are commonly found new at $400.

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 12
i know about the sundara.... before this i have dt 900 but the bass seem lack to me.......and from what I have read sundara is bass is the same with dt 900......... i live in malaysia and yes i have look into all the store and the price for focal is 900-1000 usd.....can you suggest any headphone with good amount of bass.... i dont want something that will shaken my skull when hearing it......i have airpod pro once and the sound suited me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back