DAC OR AMP? (FiiO E11K AMP or E10K DAC)
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zayus

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking into DACs and Amps, trying to find the right product for my needs.
Here's some things I'm not familiar with..
I want to use either device mainly for portable IEM sources, a phone in this case. I doubt it has the greatest on-board sound.
My guess was that the DAC would have sufficient amp for an IEM, with the added bonus of better source quality, assuming that a DAC is compatible with a phone/mp3 player?
I'm not sure how a DAC overruns on-board cards on a PC, let alone a portable device.
The other thing is I wanted to possibly increase the fidelity of my floor-standing speakers, a pair of four drive paradigms, now I have an actual amp as it is, my guess was that the DAC would help 'pre-amp' as well as subverting my PC's sound card.
Is this possible? or do I need to look at non-portable dedicated stuff for my loudspeakers.
I was just hoping for some dual usage, but raising my portable SQ is my main aim for now.
so.. DAC amp or straight Amp?

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Digital Audio Data -> DAC -> Analog Audio Line-Level Signal -> Headphone Amp -> Headphones

- Or -

Digital Audio Data -> DAC -> Analog Audio Line-Level Signal -> Preamp -> Power Amp -> Speakers

So...

Your phone has a DAC and a headphone amp inside.

Your PC has a DAC and a headphone amp inside (this is called the "onboard audio" or "sound card").

A typical home audio receiver with an optical or coax or USB input has a DAC, a preamp and a power amp inside.

Your PC can also output the digital audio data directly out the USB port, or if it has one, an optical or coax output. This bypasses the onboard audio.

There are headphone DAC/Amps that have both a DAC and a headphone amp inside.

There are DACs that only provide the digital-to-analog conversion and output an analog audio line-level signal.

There are headphone amps that are only amps and do not have a DAC inside.

There are headphone DAC/amps that also have analog line-out to send an analog signal to a home preamp or receiver.

There are headphone DAC/amps that are specifically made to interface with Apple or Android phones and extract the digital audio data. This allow the digital data to then be fed into an external DAC.

Clear as mud? :p

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 7
That's definitely a useful bit of information
I think in this case, the FiiO E10k is a headphone DAC/Amp which has:
a front-panel 1/8" headphone jack
a rear-panel 1/8" line output
rear-panel coaxial digital output
It's made for lap tops, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work for a desktop receiver config, but what's the difference between a headphone jack and line output?

I'm realising that my phone doesn't have a USB, it's micro USB just like the E10K but I obviously can't connect two micro ports together..

any store recomendations for shopping for phone (android) external DACs and DAC/amps?

Thanks

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 7
It's made for lap tops, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work for a desktop receiver config, but what's the difference between a headphone jack and line output?
I'm realizing that my phone doesn't have a USB, it's micro USB just like the E10K but I obviously can't connect two micro ports together..
any store recommendations for shopping for phone (android) external DACs and DAC/amps?

You might consider getting a FiiO X1 digital audio player for your portable music listing and a separate DAC for use with any home audio (receiver)

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 7

I'm realising that my phone doesn't have a USB, it's micro USB just like the E10K but I obviously can't connect two micro ports together..

any store recomendations for shopping for phone (android) external DACs and DAC/amps?

Thanks

You have several items wrong, but somehow you came to the right conclusion anyway... :D

The E10K isn't made for laptops - it's made for anything with a fully-functioning USB port that has power on that port. It has no battery and must get it's power from the USB port. It doesn't know or care whether that USB port is on a laptop, desktop or an AC adapter. When being used as a DAC, it also doesn't care whether the digital data sent to the USB port is coming from a laptop or desktop - as long as it is a proper USB data signal AND there is also power on that USB port.

The line-out jack is supplying a line-level signal that is the output of the DAC portion, but not amplified. The volume control does not affect the line-out. You would use the line-out if you were using the E10K purely as a DAC, but not as an amp - the signal would be fed into a separate amp or some other device before going to your headphones.

The shape and size of the USB port is not what determines what can be connected together. There are USB standards, but the reality is that anything *could* be connected with the right cable and the right software. In this case, the issue is not that the phone has a micro-usb - it is that the phone's usb port does not supply the power needed for the E10K. :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah I had typed something out along the lines of 'my phone wouldn't sustain the DAC's power supply' when I realized there was no way to connect my phone to the DAC
I guess the line out would be what I'd use per PC to DAC to 500 watt Reciever/amp
I guess if I want to subvert my phones onboard sound I'd have to buy a specialized product that has it's own charge and has the right connectivity.
Where can I find one of those? Not sure what the search terms are.

I think I understand DACs and amps a bit more now though.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 7
There are ways to bypass the internal amp of a phone. It's been a while since I looked into this topic, but I think the current method for an Android device is to use the OTG adapter interface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt0E62X0ZSE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back