dac options
Apr 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jvgig

Head-Fier
I am starting the research for my upcoming build before I head off to college. In terms of audio, there are no cut and dry performance charts like there are for everything else, so here I am.

I listen to music mostly though headphones, but I still want to retain the ability to output to a receiver. 99% of my music is stereo, so I am not too concerned about not having multi-channel capabilities as I can always just stick those few disks into my dvd player.

Since I have quite a few purchases, I am trying to find ways to cut corners. As I am also looking at portable amps, would it be beneficial to get a portable dac with usb support for use with my pc, laptop, and portable player? Or, are there any reasonable-low priced receivers that could accept audio being played on my computer over usb? I would like to keep a dac under $300 and the receiver under $600, but funds could obviously be shifted around if I could find a receiver which did not require an intermediary between the computer and it.

I listen to mostly instrumental classical, but also have a fair amount of rock and classical vocal. I am pretty sure I will go with the ER4S for my iem and will try to find some nice used bookshelf speakers and a receiver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 4
The ibasso D10(new), Headamp Pico (used), RSA predator (used) are all DAC/headphone amps that are portable and can be used with a wide variety of cans. Headamp is releasing a DAC only version, but it's major back ordered.

I'm not sure about Receivers that accept USB, but I think the newer ones from any of the manufacturers have them these days.

If you don't need a receiver, and I would recommend against it, because it has so many inputs/outputs that you won't need (given you have limited space in a dorm), go for a dedicated 2 channel external amp from emotiva, virtue audio, onkyo's 9555.

Good luck

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
There is a Octavart Amp/Dac for sale in this forum for $175, I would pick it up. You would end up w/ a Dac that can be fed via optical or coaxial w/ a built in headphone amp. Very nice sounding and a good deal at $175.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 4
I have been looking for these sort of devices for my laptop.

The M-Audio Transit is a nice little USB device. I used this with my old laptop and it drives headphones nicely - I also sometimes used it with my Graham Slee Voyager.

However, the Transit does not like my new Vista laptop - so I am getting a [url=http://www.cakewalk.com/products/UAUM/UA1G.asp]Cakewalk UA-1G
to replace it.

UA-1G_multi_sm.gif

I also like the look of the Echo Indigo - DJx express card headphone amp. and I may get this as well as it's so portable.

113714.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back