dac options for g4 powerbook
Jul 8, 2007 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

donor

Banned
Can someone please go over the options for connecting a G4 Powerbook to a DAC.
What digital outputs does my G4 Powerbook have?

From what I understand, any DAC that supports USB or TOS link is the most conveniant? Is TOSlink the same thing as digital coax?

There are so many higher end DAC's out there that seemingly weren't built for computers or laptops, so I'm hoping someone can help explain the connection options for me so I can start considering a DAC.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 8
I am sure I read here that a few people use their MAC Powerbook with the TC-7510. I have a couple of mates who also do the same. From what I have been told they even got the special 3.5mm to toslink adapter free of charge with the TC-7510 once they mentioned they were going to use it with a MAC.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm more specifically trying to find out what outputs my powerbook has that are
compatible with DACs. The only one I understand comfortably enough is USB. If I have an optical out on my powerbook (i'm not even sure if I do), are there DACS that support this? Or like someone mentioned I need a toslink cable PLUS an adaptor of some sort?

I'm more concerned with learning the possible connection options between powerbook and DAC, than learning about different DAC Models.

Please enlighten me.

PS. What is the coax stuff? does my powerbook support this?

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 8
I suggest you to check your Powerbook specs first of all (google if you don't have the manuals).
A quick search will result you your coaxial doubts.
Your thread title looks like you're looking for a DAC to your powerbook and not what digital output does your powerbook have.

IIRC, it has optical output. But i'm not 100% positive.
Never heard of any Mac that has coaxial output ...

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by donor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.. is optical output the same thing as toslink?

TOSLINK is just a connector type for optical cables.

Some of the later PowerBook G4's have optical output, while the older ones (mine are from 2004 and don't have optical out). You should check your PowerBook's manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back