DAC-off MkII: The Wadia joins the fray
Aug 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mister Crash

100+ Head-Fier
Six months ago (strangely enough, exactly six months ago), I tried comparing my two DACs (a Channel Islands VDA-2 and an Electrocompaniet ECD-1) in a head-to-head competition. The results of this fracas can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/dac...cd-1-a-299431/

About three months ago, I took the plunge and ordered myself a Wadia 581i SE. After auditioning roughly a dozen CD players, this was the one that seemed to be the most magical. Despite the lofty price tag, I had to have it.

Background
The Wadia 581 SE is the latest "budget" CD player in the Wadia line. The word "budget" is a bit of a stretch here; the 581 SE has an MSRP of US$9,950. As far as I can tell, Wadia players use proprietary DAC chips and processing algorithms, so it's not easy to compare their specs to other DACs. For example, the manual for this player says that the digital resolution is 21 bits, which seems like an awfully strange number. There are three different DAC programs installed in the player, so if one of the algorithms doesn't suit you, you can try another. The player uses 32x oversampling. It has both balanced and single-ended analog outputs, and both of these can be used at the same time. The player also has a digital volume control, which allows it to be connected straight into a power amp (or for the headphone-conscious, straight into a pair of balanced headphones). Wadia also offers this model with digital inputs and outputs (the 581i SE) for US$11,450, which is the model that is used in this comparison. I've heard that the inclusion of the input board leads to a slight decrease in sound quality, but I needed the inputs. I am the original owner of this unit.

Setup
The Wadia was used as the transport for this comparison. For the first song, the Wadia's Toslink output was connected to the Electrocompaniet ECD-1's Toslink input and the ECD-1's Toslink output was connected to the Channel Islands VDA-2's Toslink input. Both of the Toslink connections were done with glass optical cables of the same make and the same length. For subsequent songs, the coaxial output of the Wadia was connected to one of the coaxial inputs of the ECD-1, and the coaxial output of the ECD-1 was connected to the VDA-2's coaxial input. Both of these coax connections were done with Monoprice coaxial cables of the same length. In short, the Wadia fed the signal to the ECD-1, which passed the signal on to the VDA-2.

Throughout the comparison, the Wadia was set up to use its regular DAC program (Algorithm A, also called DigiMaster v2.5). The volume on the Wadia was set to its maximum value so as to bypass the digital volume control.

The ECD-1 and VDA-2 were plugged in and turned on a couple hours before the comparison to give them some time to warm up. The Wadia had been on continuously.

Each of the DACs was used in single-ended mode (the Wadia and ECD-1 have balanced outputs, and the VDA-2 can be converted to a balanced output using a special adapter, but I don't have a balanced amplifier or headphone amp). The output from each of them was connected to a Zektor HDS 4.1 switch using Monoprice RCA cables. Unfortunately, I had two 6' pairs of cables and one 3' pair. The 3' pair went on the Wadia because it was closest to the switch.

Before I hooked up the DACs to the switch, I decided to add a little mystery to the process. I held the three pairs of identical-looking RCA cables in my hands, closed my eyes, and started to quickly switch the cables around with my hands. After a minute or two of this, I had absolutely no idea which cable was coming from which DAC. I then hooked the three sets of cables up to the switch, taking care not to see which cable was coming from which source. For the purposes of my comparison, they were simply #1, #2, and #3.

The output from the switch was then fed into my Audio-Technica HA5000 headphone amp, and I listened to the music with a pair of Audio-Technica W5000 headphones. I used the switch to change the inputs between songs (and occasionally during songs).

Testing
First song: A -少年A- from dj TAKA's Milestone album
I chose this song because I used it a lot in my quest for CD players. It starts off with a lot of separation between notes, but in the middle it switches to an incredibly fast and dense tapestry of synth. Towards the end, there are so many things happening in the song, it gets dizzying. It has very high frequencies, very low frequencies, and pretty much everything else in between. With certain set-ups, it sounds good, but with others, it crosses the line into moving and magical.

#2 had a lot of detail and a fairly clean background. It sounded like there might have been some smearing during the particularly fast sections of the song. #1 seemed to have a cleaner background than #2 and was a little sharper. #3 was very engaging, with deep, full bass and more punch.

Of the three, #3 was the most engaging, and was the only one where I felt chills.

Second song: Last Message from the beatmaniaIIDX 7th Style soundtrack
I like this song because it has a couple sections where the beat just starts and stops on a dime. The silence between the notes in these sections is great for comparing the attack and decay. This was the main piece that I used when I compared the attack and decay of my two units in my first DAC-off.

#3 had weighty bass and good speed, but was a little rough in one of the transitions. #2 had decent speed. #1 had lots of minute detail, and felt like it had the sharpest attack/decay.

All in all, I liked #1 the best in this one, followed closely by #3, and then #2.

Third song: Heart of Asia by Watergate
This is a dance mix of the theme song to the movie Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

#1 had good detail, and felt like it had a nice balance of all the music (treble, midrange and bass). #3 had fine control over all of the music as well, but was again more engaging than #1. #2 wasn't as engaging as either #1 or #3.

For these three songs, I played each of them all the way through, then switched to the next source. After this, I tried a variety of other tracks, switching between the sources at will between songs to get more direct comparisons during certain passages. In doing so, I noticed that #3 had a little louder volume than the other two. Higher volumes generally lead to more appealing impressions, so this is a factor that must be taken into account.

Results
As I played through more and more songs, it was becoming clearer that #3 was the one that was giving me the most enjoyment. I tried classical, I tried new age, I tried rock, I tried dance, I tried techno; I always felt the most engaged with #3. #3 seemed to have the most forceful bass and treble, and I was just grooving with it. The instruments seemed to blend together better with #3. #1 was pretty good, and felt like it had more detail than either of the others, but it just wasn't as moving as #3. #2 seemed to be consistently behind the others. It wasn't quite as sharp as #1, and the sound felt a little more closed in.

To get a second opinion, I called my girlfriend into the room. She has a much better ear than I do (she was once a band director), and I trust her opinion about music more than my own. I disconnected the headphone amp, and fed the music from the switch to my SimAudio i5.3 integrated amplifier, and out to my Merlin VSM-MX speakers. She sat in the listening chair while I sat down in front of the switch and switched between the sources whenever she asked. I made sure not to tell her my thoughts before she listened.

It didn't take long for her to voice her opinion (it rarely does). She said that #1 and #3 were close, but #3 was a little better. She also said that both of them were decidedly better than #2. I asked her what she meant by "better", and she said that it "just sounds better".

So, after all this testing, what were the identities of these mystery combatants? I peeked behind my setup and started tracing the cords back to their sources.

#1 was the Wadia 581i SE
#2 was the Channel Islands VDA-2
#3 was the Electrocompaniet ECD-1

Conclusion
Again, I should include my usual disclaimers. I don't have the external power supply for the VDA-2, which I've heard improves the sound. I did not run any of the units in balanced mode, which is supposed to greatly improve the sound of the ECD-1 and the Wadia. I am also not properly trained in listening critically; I just like listening to music.

After doing this comparison, I'm more than a little confused. In my previous comparison, I had used an Eastern Electric Minimax CD player as a transport, and I had pegged the ECD-1 and VDA-2 as being fairly comparable. In this comparison, the ECD-1 came out considerably further ahead. Why the change? The Wadia is a better transport than the Minimax, IMO, but would that make that much of a difference? Or was I ready to call something "better" this time if it moved me more, when I was unwilling to do so last time? Probably a little of both.

One issue that I still can't resolve is the extra volume from the ECD-1. It's not that much louder (probably less than 2 dB), but it is detectably louder than the other DACs. I don't really know how to do level matching correctly. The volume control on my headphone amp lacks a digital display, so once the knob is moved, it's going to be next to impossible to get it moved back to the right place (especially since I tend to listen at about the 8 o'clock position, so there isn't a lot of room to play with). I suspect that the higher volume has led to a more positive impression, but I'm not sure how to adequately fix that.

After doing this comparison, I tried out the Wadia's two other processing algorithms. I felt both of them were inferior to the first one, and when I compared them against the ECD-1, I felt the ECD-1 was considerably better. However, the other two algorithms are a little quieter than the standard one (about 1 dB softer), so again, volume might be a consideration.

So, after spending several thousand dollars on the Wadia 581i SE, I found that I like the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 better. Is the ECD-1 hands-down better? No. The Wadia has sharper detail, and a very good sound. The ECD-1 seems to put more emphasis on the frequency extremes, which might not suit everyone's tastes. I liked the "active" sound of the ECD-1, though.

I do think that the Wadia by itself was better than the Minimax + ECD-1 combination, but I have not done a direct comparison. It would also be interesting to see how the Wadia + ECD-1 compared to the Minimax + ECD-1. Maybe next month I can have a Transport-off.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 12
It's stunning to me that more people haven't taken notice of this review!
confused_face(1).gif

Did you detect a difference in SQ using the coaxial output as opposed to the toslink output? Which one sounded better? Did they sound the same?

I apologize in advance if I offended anybody by bumping this somewhat-old thread, but I thought it merited more than just one response.
redface.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 12
wadia has a very different voicing and i want to hate it, but it's rather impressive sometimes. it's like they do plastic surgery to digital and create a pretty picture with loads of info. really the opposite of my audio outlook but i still enjoyed it.

anyways, i am going to agree with you that the electrocompaniet dac is more preferable as it's voiced closer toward natural, it has a fleshiness feel to it. i didn't end up with it as it was too polite for my tastes but it was a damn nice sound for sure.

so what did you gather from your comparisons? which direction are you thinking of going, if anywhere at all?

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 12
Heh. This review makes me happy that I ended up keeping the VDA-2. :)

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Wadia's designs are very well engineered. They are always some of the most detailed presentations. But not always to everyones taste.
Towards this end I highly HIGHLY suggest that people who own Wadias or are thinking about them try a couple tweaks.
First and maybe most important is chasis vibration dampening. Their chasis are built like tanks but the top and bottom plate ring like a bell. Since the dsp and dacs are opperating in the megahertz range they are very suceptable to this ringing. (Or, at least I surmised that this is the reason.) Either way, controlling the vibration of the top AND bottom is vitally important to get full performance.
Some would say that any product that needs after market care is a bad design. I see the point in that. But I also know just how well these units can be with a little attention to detail.
There are a number of ways to dampen these units. I have found that the products from HRS work best. (Nimbus/Dampening plates) Yes, HRS is expensive but not outrageous considering the price of the player.
The Wadias also benefit greatly from clean power. I use Running Springs power line conditioners with outstanding results.

btw, just in case anyone is concerned, I am not affiliated with any of these companies. Though I sometimes think Wadia should be paying me some commission since every single person who has heard mine has baught their own!

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Valens7: With regard to whether I liked the Toslink or coax output better, it's been a while, but I think the coax was marginally better than the Toslink. Honestly, I made the change to coax instead of Toslink after the first song because (a) I found the BNC->RCA adapter for the Wadia (the output from the Wadia has a BNC jack, but they provide an adapter to plug an RCA cable into that output) and (b) the order of preference of the digital outputs listed in the Wadia manual had Toslink at the bottom (it was AT&T Optical > AES/EBU > BNC coax > Toslink). I figured that since the ECD-1 had both Toslink and coax outputs and the VDA-2 had both coax and Toslink inputs, I may as well use the coax connections.

After this review, I got an AES/EBU cable and compared the output of the Wadia to the ECD-1 through both coax and AES/EBU, and the AES/EBU did seem quite a bit better. That difference was more substantial than the difference between the coax and the Toslink.

Champ04: Thanks. I'll look into dampening the chassis and see if there is some improvement to be had there.

panda: A month or so after I posted this review, I had a bit of an incident. I sat down to do some paperwork at home. I had the Wadia as a transport feeding the Electrocompaniet DAC, which was then going to my AT-HA5000 headphone amp and out through the W5000 headphones. The first couple hours were pretty good, but eventually, I started noticing this growing feeling of discomfort. It felt like the music was getting too big, too energetic. In particular, there just seemed to be too much treble energy for me to handle. I started feeling claustrophobic. I turned down the volume a bit, but that really didn't help out much. I took off the headphones for a moment, and felt better, but when I put them back on, it started again. I guess this is the condition that some term "listening fatigue". I tried disconnecting the ECD-1 and just sent the analog output of the Wadia to the headphone amp, and my problem went away.

That was a pretty sobering experience. Since then, I have removed the ECD-1 from my listening chain. I like its "groove" factor, and was very satisfied when I listened to it through my speaker system, but for prolonged sessions with headphones on, the extra bloom at the frequency extremes just got to be too much for me to handle. The VDA-2 has been moved to my computer system, as it fits much better in the space that I have than the ECD-1 does.

At this point, the Wadia is staying with me. I will probably try to sell either the VDA-2 or the ECD-1 at some point in the future since I only have two systems.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Sorry to hear about your listening fatigue, Mr. Crash. I just today received my ECD-1, and it is rocking my world as we speak.

I have an AES/EBU interface on order, and I'm running it balanced, which is quite nice.

I'm sure if you decide to sell the ECD-1 there will be plenty of buyers. After all, it is the Wadia killer
smily_headphones1.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: "melting my face off" might not be universally understood as the wonderful thing that it is. I can't imagine why
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 12
that's very odd, maybe there is an impedence mismatch with the ecd-1 output and your amp. i remember someone saying the same thing about a cary cdp and i was at a loss because that's not anything close to what i experienced...

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 12
I had never experienced anything like this before either. It might have been a source/amp impedance mismatch. It might have been that the music I was playing was particularly bright. It might have had something to do with the AES/EBU cable I was using, which was brand new and had not been broken in (and when I think back to the incident, there were a couple times during the session when the sound just kind of gave out for a second or so, which would seem to indicate a faulty cable). It had been quite a while since I had had a prolonged listening session with headphones on, so having those large closed phones on for that long might have contributed to my claustrophobia as well.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 12
ECD-1 must be heck of a deal then! Getting one for $1000-1200 should keep me very pleased until I get enough funds raised for a Wadia
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Really nice write-up indeed!
biggrin.gif

The Electrocompaniet ECD1 is really nice. I lived happily with one for two years, until I parted with it this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back