DAC (no amp necessary) for use with optical output of soundcard
Dec 2, 2009 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nisstyre56

New Head-Fier
As the title says I need a DAC that I can plug into the optical output of my soundcard. It doesn't need an amp, because I already have one. The reason I need it is because my soundcard is emitting a "hissing" noise at high volumes which I think is being caused by my PSU or interference with some other component. Something in the range of 150 dollars would be nice. Of course I want good sound quality, but I assume not needing an amp will bring the price down a bit?

Edit: My soundcard also supports SPDIF, idk why I only mentioned the optical output.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Dec 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 8
BTW, both outputs are S/PDIF, Optical and Coaxial(copper), S/PDIF is the data transfer protocol.

Also, If I recall, I have heard that the quality of the S/PDIF output from various soundcards can vary depending on the particular chipset used and you might be better served by using USB out instead.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 8
so you cant just plugin common rca cables?

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, both outputs are S/PDIF, Optical and Coaxial(copper), S/PDIF is the data transfer protocol.

Also, If I recall, I have heard that the quality of the S/PDIF output from various soundcards can vary depending on the particular chipset used and you might be better served by using USB out instead.

I'm using the Auzentech Xplosion 7.1. will that give me decent quality output?

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He makes some very nice bang for the buck stuff, but I wish he would specify which DAC, since there is quite a difference between the Wolfson 8501 and the 8740-42 family..

Also, to clarify, it's not an Amp, it's just a DAC, with line level outputs...

it uses a Wolfson 8501 dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back